All our Fish Died???????????

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
ok thank :) it might be fast but is it fast enough for 86 fish? just wondering
Well I'm not so sure there could ever be enough o2 in a pond so massively overstocked as this one.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey guys. Lots to respond to. I am not on here consistently and I wasn't expecting this many replies in tone day haha. I appreciate the kind comments. This is our first pond and it is a learning curve! The last few cleanings, we hadn't had many fish to worry about. This is the first time we have had this many. Our tank is approx. 3300 Gallons. With the fish there where 10 fish about 6 inches long. The rest where under an inch to 3 inches. As of 2 years ago, we only had 10 fish... Since then they have repopulated themselves. only this past month or two did we realize how many fish we had. A few months back we only assumed there to be about 30 babies. (You couldn't see the babies, as they hid in the bottom) Thanks for all the advice :)

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Water usually oxygenated pretty quickly. The op has a 3300 gallon pond so there is a good amount of surface area for air exchange. When I first built my pond I looked into water delivery and I asked if it was chlorinated, the answer was yes,my answer was no thanks. I wonder if this isn't the case here. Whatever the case is the op hasn't chimed in so I suppose we may not know.
I'm sorry I didn't reply, But I have work, children, activities etc. I only just received these msgs. I wasn't ignoring people :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Ok op said the water comes from an underground lake...

I have to wonder if the water in the lake got contaminated.

If ever this was to be repeated, the water will need to be tested prior to adding fish. Test for ammonia Etc.

Reaction score
There seems to be to many factors to put a finger on...well water could have changed, water truck had contaminated water in it, the addition of salt could have done it, new pond syndrome.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
There seems to be to many factors to put a finger on...well water could have changed, water truck had contaminated water in it, the addition of salt could have done it, new pond syndrome.
I agree and I think we can all agree that none of those above mentioned items should happen again . There are so few neverdos but the biggest one is to never do total pond clean outs as general maintenance .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
so sad because you have to live through all of this .what did the pond people who cleaned the pond say to what happened .Are they willing to help replace your fish and refund your money .I guess they lost a customer

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You do know, some things can wipe out 100% of fish, chloramine is one of them. It is a thorough killer, dissolved chlorine, would do it

Some small fish would have survived low oxygen well water

Salt, how much did you put in?

New pond syndrome, what is that? Some release of hydrogen sulphide? There won't be many pockets of that unless you raked up deep layers of sediments with a lot of decomp buried in it....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm new here but not to ponding. I've had one for over 15 years. You clean it way to much. You blasted all the good bacteria away and left them with new water that you don't know where it came from. Better off out of the tap and every time you add tap water, you need to condition it. Always leave some muck and algae in. It's good bacteria. I suck it out the bottom, leave it on rocks pots and the side.

Ask a Question