Almost done Almost done Almost done!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Been a great undertaking since February. Built this one myself but having an experienced crew do the liner and seal everything properly.

Tomorrow if the weather holds we will have the waterfalls in and all will be right with the world!!! :bdaybiggrin: :bdaybiggrin: :banana: :banana: :banana: :bdaybiggrin: :bdaybiggrin:

The pic is deceiving. Its a 10x12 3 feet deep, 4 inch drain. The skimmer is covered in the top right. (helix skimmer)

IMG_20130520_170537_188_zps811d0456.jpg

IMG_20130520_170555_244_zpse1bad881.jpg

I appreciate everyone who has put up with me over the last year as I planned this beast! :D

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO yippee! Looking good

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Looking good have you thought about using a spindrifter bubbler atop your 4 inch bottom drain , they fit and do just the same as a normal bottom drain cover but have the bubbler atop of it our koi love darting through it lol, its sort of an air shower for them .
its better than adding airstones to the pond willy nilly I think it looks ugly having bits of tubing all over the place and you can by use of a tap control the amount of air going to it, it will take however a whole airpump to power it see photo :-

Dave_1.jpg

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Dave 54 said:
Looking good have you thought about using a spindrifter bubbler atop your 4 inch bottom drain , they fit and do just the same as a normal bottom drain cover but have the bubbler atop of it our koi love darting throuh it lol, its sort of an air shower for them .
its better than adding airstones to the pond willy nilly I think it looks ugly having bits of tubing all over the place and you can by use of a tap control the amount of air going to it, it will take however a whole airpump to power it see photo :-

attachicon.gif
Dave_1.jpg
Of course! I listened to you guys! :D

In the lower pic the air pump is in the back. (yellow) Its an AL-40 Alita Linear Air pump

Reaction score
Oh, how exciting! It is looking really awesome. Did you end up renting a jackhammer? :beerchug:

Which pump did you decide on and is it lower than your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
List of Materials:

Code:
45ml 20x20 liner

20x20 underlay

Helix Pond  Skimmer
Code:
Universal Waterfall Diffusors (2)
Code:
SKP5000 Skimmer pump
Code:
Sequence Series External Pump
Code:
basket strainer
Code:
EVO55 Evolution  Aqua 55 Watt UV Clarifier
Code:
Aqua Ultima II Filter, 4,000
Code:
AL-40 Alita Linear air pump
Code:
KOI TOILET I AERATED 4” BOTTOM DRAIN
Code:
HOSE, BLACK   FLEX PVC 1/2" X 100'
Code:
5 LED lights with remote

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
gardengimp said:
Oh, how exciting! It is looking really awesome. Did you end up renting a jackhammer? :beerchug:

Which pump did you decide on and is it lower than your pond?
Jackhammer check!

IMG_20130520_180233_064_zps5ed73556.jpg

:D

I listed the materials and the 2 pumps since you guys insisted on redundancy. One for the skimmer going to one waterfall and one external going from the filter to the other waterfall.

And I over sized EVERYTHING as ordered! *salutes* :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
A person after our own hearts cant go wrong that way, giving plenty of leeway you room to grow lol

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Here's a vid of it filling up. Waiting for it to be high enough to engage the second pump and waterfall in the skimmer :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Got a bit of a problem I need to run by you guys.

One point of concern is the skimmer is sitting high enough to need the pond to be pretty full which is fine by me but the waterfalls are sitting a little low and the guys decided not to use the large rocks I bought for the waterfall support and put them in the middle for filler. Instead they pieced together some smaller rocks and the issue I’m seeing is having the pond full enough to clear the rock front of the skimmer (and the skimmer itself) the water is pooling behind each waterfall and in some cases spilling over into the lawn. Right now I can’t go high enough to clear that rock in front of the skimmer and give the skimmer a little more clearance without overflowing around the waterfalls in the back.

IMG_20130521_162019_727_zpsdafdf579.jpg

IMG_20130521_161959_530_zps7fe4d11b.jpg

IMG_20130521_161921_529_zps9a7426ad.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I guess I'm concerned because the rock in front of the skimmer is very shallow so fish could easily get stuck and the waterfalls dip too far back. Shouldn't the water going into the skimmer be a few inches higher as well?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a different skimmer, my water is about 1/2 way up the skimmer body. Mine has a weir, (pool skimmer) if the water gets to low it sucks air.

So far the fish stay away from the skimmer, frogs go into it off and on. I think the weir keeps the fish out, they would need to swim into it and push it down with their body.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Tex, glad to see you weathered the storm OK. Your pond looks nice -- lots of "action" there. One thing I noticed is that it looks like you are going to have a problem with run-off from your yard -- it's nice to be able to see what effects the rain will have.... Is there any way you can raise the sides [berms]?

Ask a Question