Alternative to netting

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
In our much warmer climate birds, frogs and animals remain active through much of the winter months. That plus I can't bear the thought of accidently trapping and possibly killing any of my little friends in leaf netting. Tell me truly if I went every day and scooped out the leaves floating on the ponds surface if that would be somewhat as effective as using netting? It would also be excellent exercise for me.

Reaction score
We haven't netted our pond since the first winter for the reasons you stated. Too many birds get caught in the net. If you've seen any of our videos you know we have many large oak trees surrounding our pond.

Now you have to be diligent in removing the leaves...we use leaf nets both large and small.
Like you said -- it's good exercise and animal friendly. Also, when we look out the window it's
nice to see an uncovered pond in the winter.

btw...once all the leaves fall off the trees you no longer have to scoop out the leaves. :)

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Deer netting does the job, is cheap, and easy to manipulate:)

Thanks for the suggestion yet my net has to have the smallest openings in order to catch the spiny cypress tree leaves. My nephew and his wife used deferring netting to protect their plants from white tale deer. Result, the deer simply bit or somehow tore open the poly net!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just let them fall into the pond and scoop out with a pool net once they are done falling. Luckily the leaves from the three trees tend to blow away form the pond.

The anti heron net over the pond, has 4-5 inch weave, only to stop the gbh, and let any other small bird critter pass through unhurt. It sits around 3-4 feet above the water. Don't even really see it with the large weave. So far working at keeping the heron away!

Reaction score
Just as a side note- these black walnut trees are odd They're the last to fill in in the spring and the first to loose it's leaves in late summer. It's fruit grows relatively fast in comparison tho

multifasited

multifasited
Reaction score
Leaves are about to start with a vengence ,winds sweep roof and deposit collect in the protected area of the pond .This method has worked with great sucess for yrs. now ,easy to use back pack blower ,allows for gutter clean outs and and blow out whole area with out disturbing screens ,easy removal if needed ,desent visability , effective and easy to maintain ,I have two 100 yr plus oaks ,canopy over house rear ,any body want a few pick up loads of leaves ,I.ve got them ,I will be windrowing and grinding leaves for the next 6 weeks ,w/52" com.mower.Worst part is the amount of dust ,masks galor .brown showers afterward ,LOL three air filters for the mower ,beauty has it's costs

Attachments

• Leaf screens in place 001.JPG
    Leaf screens in place 001.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 354
  • Leaf screens in place 002.JPG
    Leaf screens in place 002.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 320

Ask a Question