Nile Tilapia Alternative?

Reaction score
Hello;

New here, I live in Kuwait and my company made a pond roughly 2498cubic m (= 2498 kilo-liters = 659902 US Gal), which will be filled with brackish water. At another site they had a larger pond which they placed Nile Tilapia for there high breeding rate and ease of care, but at the time of winter all the fish died. According to different sites the Nile Tilapia can tolerate a temperature range between 16C - 40C (61F - 104F). Beside installing a heater is there an alternative fish that is ease to care for, has a high breeding rate and can live in a wide range of temperature. Kuwait reaches temperature from 1C (34F) mostly 5C (41F) to 48C (118.5F). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks;

Reaction score
Hello and welcome. I keep tilapia here in the Caribbean, its very warm and ideal all year for them. They do breed like crazy. When you say brackish water, how salt is it? That is a wide temperature range! Are you breeding for consumption, aquaponics or to sell? I'm asking just to get some ideas of types of fish.

Your best bet would be to investigate the local lakes and streams, see what is local. Those local fish would be your best option in terms of temperature and water in your area.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hello;

New here, I live in Kuwait and my company made a pond roughly 2498cubic m (= 2498 kilo-liters = 659902 US Gal), which will be filled with brackish water. At another site they had a larger pond which they placed Nile Tilapia for there high breeding rate and ease of care, but at the time of winter all the fish died. According to different sites the Nile Tilapia can tolerate a temperature range between 16C - 40C (61F - 104F). Beside installing a heater is there an alternative fish that is ease to care for, has a high breeding rate and can live in a wide range of temperature. Kuwait reaches temperature from 1C (34F) mostly 5C (41F) to 48C (118.5F). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks;
Common carp (Cyprinus carpio). These, however, may require that some form of shade be provided on days of extreme heat. They are not quite as heat tolerant as Tilapia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with Prisicilla that would be the best option for you to do, but first check to see if there any rules in your country about taking wildlife and putting them in your pond , we extend a warm welcome to the forum from a freezing cold Plymouth UK
We hope to lean lots from you and what your going to stock your pond with, it will be interesting to learn all about fish keeping in Kuwait .
What temperatures do you get in Kuwait during the winter months .
My wife and I are just going into our 28 year of keeping koi carp , which are tucked away until spring arrives and we can at last remove the covers from the pond and get on with spring maintenance of our pond and filters .
If Meyer suggests common carp that may be your best option
Dave

Reaction score
This pond is meant for show only since it is the company's pond, I highly doubt they will take enthusiast care of the fish. I am not in charge of this project I just want to help a college out. I am not sure how salty the brackish water is. In terms of Kuwait I've seen mostly Nile talipia being used for large ponds and Koi carp in small ponds by hobbyist.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This pond is meant for show only since it is the company's pond, I highly doubt they will take enthusiast care of the fish. I am not in charge of this project I just want to help a college out. I am not sure how salty the brackish water is. In terms of Kuwait I've seen mostly Nile talipia being used for large ponds and Koi carp in small ponds by hobbyist.
What is the maximum depth of this pond? Also is it earthen-bottom or lined?

Reaction score
Hello;

Thanks;

Sorry got the volume wrong. It is 1825 cubic meters (=1825 kilo-liters = 482,114 US Gal). Surface Area is 913 m sq.

Ask a Question