Alternative fish food

Reaction score
Sorry if this has previously been covered. I'm still a newbie.
I was just wondering if there's any alternatives to your standard koi/ fish pellets. I went to my local aquatic centre earlier and in one of there Koi tanks they had a huge slice of water melon which the koi seemed to love munching on. I have 3 koi, and about 20 various goldfish, shubunkins, comets. I'm now feeding them wheat germ as my water temp is below 10 degrees c. Any other alternatives out there?

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Once you drop below 10c ONLY feed wheat germ if anything. It's a good food and will help clean the intestines for the winter. In the spring once you start back feeding start off with split english or sweet peas. remove the outer skin and feed them the pulp. helps restart the intestinal tract back working as temps climb back above 10c, wheat germ can be fed during that time as well. As for treats, watermelon, dew melon, cantalope, berries, squash, cherrios regular and honey nut, wheat bread, rice, peas, cucumber, and zuchinni can all be fed as treats. be sure and remove all seeds before feeding, do not leave any uneaten food for more than about 30 minutes. If it's not eaten by then remove and try again another day. When trying one that hasn't been given before they may not eat it the first few tries .Once they know and like they will eat any of the foods listed pretty fast.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Once you drop below 10c ONLY feed wheat germ if anything. It's a good food and will help clean the intestines for the winter. In the spring once you start back feeding start off with split english or sweet peas. remove the outer skin and feed them the pulp. helps restart the intestinal tract back working as temps climb back above 10c, wheat germ can be fed during that time as well. As for treats, watermelon, dew melon, cantalope, berries, squash, cherrios regular and honey nut, wheat bread, rice, peas, cucumber, and zuchinni can all be fed as treats. be sure and remove all seeds before feeding, do not leave any uneaten food for more than about 30 minutes. If it's not eaten by then remove and try again another day. When trying one that hasn't been given before they may not eat it the first few tries .Once they know and like they will eat any of the foods listed pretty fast.

OK, is the thing about peeling peas for real? I read that on another forum, and Hubby & I got a kick out of it -- thought it was a little extreme. So, how does one peel a pea? Guess, can you just squeeze out the pulp? Still LOL, though, 'cause all this sounds more like baby food than fish food :)

No disrespect intended [...just one of those things you can't help, like when you get tickled in church and can't stop laughing no matter how hard you try -- true story!]. It is very good & helpful information.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
the skin of the pea isn't easy to digest. On some peas if you scald them they open really easy, i use baby peas, and boil in plain water for five minutes, the shells come off real easy. the koi love them I wouldn't want to take the chance that the skins of the bigger peas might stop the intestines up and giving them constipation...

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
the skin of the pea isn't easy to digest. On some peas if you scald them they open really easy, i use baby peas, and boil in plain water for five minutes, the shells come off real easy. the koi love them I wouldn't want to take the chance that the skins of the bigger peas might stop the intestines up and giving them constipation...

Thanks, Larkin! Again, I didn't mean to sound disrespectful, it's just that image I have of "peeling" peas like an apple with a little teeny weeny knife was too much for me :). Sorry...... No, I can 100% see where you're coming from -- appreciate the clarification & explanation.

On a similar note, regarding temperatures..... [no, not THAT kind ;)] This will be my first "seasonal" shift with the pond, and am wondering about daily temp fluctuations and when to actually begin the fall-feeding regimin. I know that 50 F is when to start, but at what point do you stop feeding? And once the temps start to drop, is it a progressive downward thing, or will there be day-to-day variations? As you know, around here we don't see the dramatic seasonal changes in our weather, so was wondering how closely pond water will mirror air temps.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
TM, actually on the Peas, just lightly squeeze the pea between your fingers, the skin comes right off, no need for a teeny weeny knife. LOL The two inside halves just pop out and are ready to be fed.
On the temp. I start feeding wheat germ when the temps reach the first full day at about 55 degrees (POND TEMP.) and I continue feeding wheat germ and peas until the water comes back up to 55 degrees +. As you stated, we don't get the drastic temp changes, I don't feed at all if there is any ice what so ever, including frost. I do feed though throughout the whole winter. Your further north so your going to get colder water temps than I will. Use your judgement, If I remember correctly you only keep goldfish. They can survive all winter without being fed. But I would feed a week or two of wheat germ before stopping the food all together if you choose not to feed. As for pond temps. versus Air temp. there is some correlation between the two of course but don't go by air. get a swiiming pool thermometer. walmart, lowes, homedepot, sell a floating one that has a tie off string that works really well for about $6. throw it in the pond and leave it. Then when you go out to check the pond check the temp before feeding. Don't get over worked up about winter. Clean all filters, once the temps drop below 45-50, get as much gunk netted off the bottom as possible, and be sure and keep an opening in the ice if you happen to get a really cold night that you may get a solid freeze over. I leave pretty much everything running year round here, but again, if it is going to get unusually cold, turn off the water fall, It can cool the water a lot during really cold snaps, and if ice forms it can cause water to escape the pond area.
BTW, we found Hoss and Mama Three Foot Boxies breeding yesterday. :) I was worried her injuries might not allow her to breed but they were doing what they do and not shy about it either. Maybe we will get some baby boxies next year??????

Reaction score

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
On the temp. I start feeding wheat germ when the temps reach the first full day at about 55 degrees (POND TEMP.) and I continue feeding wheat germ and peas until the water comes back up to 55 degrees +.

get a swiiming pool thermometer. walmart, lowes, homedepot, sell a floating one that has a tie off string that works really well for about $6.

Don't get over worked up about winter.

BTW, we found Hoss and Mama Three Foot Boxies breeding yesterday. :) I was worried her injuries might not allow her to breed but they were doing what they do and not shy about it either. Maybe we will get some baby boxies next year??????

Thanks for the temp info -- wasn't sure how much water temps bounce around from day to day. I have a thermometer and it has a feeding guide on it.

And, FYI, I only get worked up about something when it's the first-time-around ;). After this winter guess I'll have to find something else to obsess over....

Sure you got a boy & girl EBT? My guys "practice" on each other all the time, but was told that's a dominance thing. Have watched them try to flip each other over [like wrestlers] and sometimes their "posturing" is comical. Not so much of that since I enlarged the habitat last spring, but still gotta keep an eye out for injuries. Glad your guys are doing better!

Ask a Question