addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a lot of green frogs that stick around, right now the tiny toads are leaving the ponds. In the fall I have to save the tads that were born in the bog, the green frogs over winter as tads.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Thanks for all the feedback and ideas.

Any thoughts on making a ramp that would look good or natural to complement the pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Thanks for all the feedback and ideas.

Any thoughts on making a ramp that would look good or natural to complement the pond?
I was thinking PVC pipe for a framework and something along the lines of plastic canvas for the surface. That would work good for function and longevity, but not so much for aesthetics.
Maybe we can get @callingcolleen1 to chime in with her expertise, She in addition to ponding she does things like this.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I would probably look for old wood from prairie, maybe some natually fallen pieces and then there is an old abandon shack, maybe salvage some of that wood and make a old wooden ramp bridge for frogs... Then get some moss and glue and stuff some here and there to make it look really old and worn! :)

Maybe I could make one in the greenhouse this fall when I am not so busy in yard. Fall and winter months are a good time for me to relax and make things in my greenhouse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My hot tub looks about the same height. I went to a store that sold horse riding equipment and bought steps. They are used to get on horse. I will see if I can take a photo.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Using as a plant stand now, friend painted greek key.
upload_2017-6-20_16-8-24.png

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I dislike frogs also noisy messy critters .They clean the pond but then clog up the pumps and filters with there taddy's and aggie killing them also and I get to pull out the left overs
Ha ha ha, your funny Sissy! Angie must have gone wild and fending for herself and catching her own dinners now! He He he

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
she has gone gourmet on me she likes frog legs colleen .Took out 3 dead frog parts this morning again and now having coffee .Sister stopped by yesterday and brought me a gnome ,so I am gnome happy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I too freaked out about the toad frog breeding in the beginning..... But after the third round of tadpoles, I have three different size sets of toads hopping around my backyard. I have set in the early morning with my coffee and watched them, those little guys are ant eating machines . I have always had alot of tree frogs, I think because of all the banana trees, they had a massive breeding session last week.... And I have eggs everywhere , so I have become a frog lover anything that eats bugs is my friend

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I too freaked out about the toad frog breeding in the beginning..... But after the third round of tadpoles, I have three different size sets of toads hopping around my backyard. I have set in the early morning with my coffee and watched them, those little guys are ant eating machines . I have always had alot of tree frogs, I think because of all the banana trees, they had a massive breeding session last week.... And I have eggs everywhere , so I have become a frog lover anything that eats bugs is my friend
And if I could find a frog that would eat Japanese Beatles they would be my friend for life

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I go out and shake the shrubs at dusk when the bats come out and they love the Japanese beetles .I have to some times duck to make sure the bat does not hit me .They just dart all around trying to get them .

Ask a Question