Another use for shade clothe

Reaction score
A 4’ x 10’ piece of shade clothe has done wonders for the clarity of my pond water and the frequency that I have to clean my filter. I covered my stream with it to keep the birds from bathing, etc in the stream less that a week ago. The difference is amazing.
As you may know, we are in a bad drought in Oklahoma and the bird flock in to drink and bathe. They still have access to water to drink but they can’t cover the pond with feathers and fill it with poo.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My birds like the bog, they don't really drink out of the stream, the squirrel likes the stream

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I made this for mine and it connects to the bridge on each side .With the heat we have had it helped a lot

Attachments

• pond desater 011.JPG
    pond desater 011.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 356

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I was going to do a sail, but opted to put in shade trees instead. I just have to live with the leaves falling each autumn.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thats why I didn't want shade trees ,but my pond is not far from the septic tank and I know the roots would head straight for the tank and pipes .Shade cloth I just take off when the weather gets cooler .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have trees near the pond but they don't shade the pond. But so far, even with this horrible heated summer, the highest it got was 90. Guess it helps to be deep, and have lilies and other plants in it.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I thought about it before planting my trees, but I get sooooo much wind where I am at, it would destroy it in one season. I actually looked at getting a small windmill to put on my property and power my pump but could not find one that was small enough, wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, and was powerful enough to be worth it.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I get good winds here also and still am waiting for my wind and sun report from wind and sun turbine I saw totally installed it is around 3 thousand dollars and has an automatic grid no batteries to fiddle with when you have wind and sun you are off grid when you don't it switches to on grid

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
neat sissy, it will be great if that works for you

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
ponderpaul, that's a neat idea! Glad it's working out for you.

We have lots of wind, too, and would love to harness it. A few people have those propeller looking things on very tall poles but I thought I saw a small rooftop type on a DIY show. Thanks for the link, sissy! Will check it out.

Ask a Question