addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Geez he was so fast how do you know it was a frog? I did see a big rabbit go hopping by, maybe it was a baby rabbit? One hopped into my bathtub pond and guess it couldn't get out and drowned. There was pot above water and a floating board, don't know why it didn't swim to that and get up on it. Poor little thing was pretty small.

Put your mouse on the play arrow: click go click stop very quick, over and over, stop action viewing lol, as the hawk flies back over the pond you can see some long legs hanging down. Also if you watch the recording no bird flies in for the hawk to snag.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep I did just that and now I can see the dangling legs of the poor frog invited for dinner!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I saw a hummingbird by my pond today. It was pretty early in the morning when I saw it. I don't think I have ever seen one in our yard before. I don't know who was more surprised, me to see it or the bird to see me!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Neat we have hummers, just the ruby throated, I planted a ton of flowers hummingbirds love. In arizona we had a bunch of different varieties migrating through.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hummers seem to be slacking off here now for some reason. Not seeing them hardly at all. Maybe there are too many yummy flowers out there for them to grab a snack from :razz:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not had many feeding at the feeders this year, last year (very dry, very hot ) they would suck the bottle dry every two days.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I keep putting food out and then I have to throw it out cuz it goes bad after a short while. Gonna stop filling them if they don't come around pretty soon again.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I keep putting food out and then I have to throw it out cuz it goes bad after a short while. Gonna stop filling them if they don't come around pretty soon again.

they are still coming here, I am using my smallest hummer feeder, it holds 1 cup ow I would be tossing a lot of sugar water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have a pretty big feeder, but only mix a cup at a time, and for a while it was getting pretty low before I had to refill it, then they slacked off here, too. Saw one today, so maybe the others have moved on and I have a dominant male that doesn't allow others to share the feeder!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Great pictures everyone! This is a great thread.

My DH and I took a walk down the Jordan river parkway not long ago. The Jordan river cuts through the center of Salt Lake valley connecting Utah lake to the Great Salt Lake. It lies in low land about a mile from us and has a lot of wetlands around it.

I was surprised to see some of these guys so close to home. If standing their heads would have reached 3' to 4'!!! tall. They were huge birds!

I did not have a camera but just googled pelicans jordan river parkway and found this picture. Pretty much what we saw plus someone elses good photography ;)

pelican-3.jpg

I hope they never find their way to my house :( I have been lucky so far and haven't had a lot of predators.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Pecan, I just got back from UT, and while I was there for the life of me I could not remember who lived in UT! I saw some of those birds while I was there, up in the mountains on a lake that had a very shallow end. Daughter called them pelicans, and they were white. Thanks for the close up pic that you found!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Pelicans are cool! We see lots of gray ones down here. Yep wouldn't one one near your pond. One scoop and it's all over!

fresia1999

Fresia
Reaction score
I used to have alot of different birds when I lived in the country. One year during the holidoay season when I had Christmas wreaths on every window on the front of the house, a sudden early evening windy snow storm came and all the Finches nested for the night in each one of those wreaths. We could watch them through the window.
Living in town I have alot of pesky Sparrows who nest all around and take over my feeders.
I love your pictures Addy.

Ask a Question