addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well I prefer having the great blue heron visiting rather then the green heron, it is small hard to spot except when......... it sits on our bird feeder right outside our window!

DSC03525.jpg

DSC03527.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Neat pics, Nova! I have lots of barn swallows here, and I love them. When I mowed tonight, they were swooping in front or and next to me the whole time. I love it! I have had only one mosquito bite ... knock on wood ... so I know they are helping out my bug population a lot. Them and the frogs and dragonflies. They are all welcome visitors.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's so neat Nova seeing them feed the baby in mid flight! We just started seeing the swooping cool daredevil swallows here again this year. I love how they swoop in front of me while I mow the lawn!

Addy I think you have won the battle w/ the green heron w/ the protection that you have added to your pond. Now you can hopefully just sit back and enjoy him.........................as I said...................HOPEFULLY!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hope so too jw! water is too darn clear, the fish show up like neon signs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I went to St. Louis Botanical Gardens yesterday with my friend Joan. Here are a couple pictures of a Great Blue Heron I took just for you, Addy! He flew across the pond/lake the koi were in, and I'm sure he feeds regularly there, but there are no worries he will eat the adult koi in that pond! They weigh far more than the bird.
Blue heron.JPGGreat Blue Heron.JPG
And, just for giggles (I know this is a bird post, but to follow the story ...) here are a couple of pics of the koi. The smallest in this pic is still close to 3'.
Koi at BG.JPG
There were also grass carp that were larger. One was well over 3'. I had no idea grass carp had no whiskers, and their face is totally different than koi. Eyes very wide set, on the edge of the face, and much smaller mouth, kind of round rather than oval. Slick body, too, look more scaleless than koi. In this pic, the grass carp is on the left, koi on the right.
Grass carp on left, koi on right.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
These little guys weren't at my pond but only about 10miles or so away near Costco. DH snapped these pix w/ his iPod.

ducklings.jpg

ducklings1.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well thanks ce! watched the heron fly over again today!

So cute jw, love little ducks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Awwww ... love the duck pics, JW! I keep hoping a pair of Canada geese will stop and nest at my pond, but I guess I have about 2 too many dogs for their liking. :-( They have all left. Maybe someday ... of course I'm talking about my farm pond, not my backyard ponds! :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mr Hawk came back, one less frog ....................you can see the camera shake when the hawk lands on it

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Geez he was so fast how do you know it was a frog? I did see a big rabbit go hopping by, maybe it was a baby rabbit? One hopped into my bathtub pond and guess it couldn't get out and drowned. There was pot above water and a floating board, don't know why it didn't swim to that and get up on it. Poor little thing was pretty small.

Ask a Question