Anyone do plant exchanges here?

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
I'm on another gardening forum where we exchange plants. In spring when we propagate our over grown plants and exchange the cuttings with other users who have over grown plants.
For example the forum administrator gave me a Pink Pickerel an Iris and an Umbrella Palm. In Spring I'm sending her a Water Lily. Plant exchanges are a thing we do on that forum. Was wondering if anyone does that here?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We do trade or ship for you pay postage at times here. Just ask now and then or put what you have to trade or what you have to give for paying postage. Lots of times peeps here get overrun w/ certain types of plants and rather then throw them out they will share.

FountainMan

Reaction score
Awesome. I'm intrested in some Lotus and 4 leaf clover. Someone on the other gardening forum called the water lilies. Next year I should have some Pickerel Weed (Pontederia Cordata) I need to propagate. Of course I'll wait for then to see if anyone has a Lotus or Clover.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I have a 300g horse trough FULL of pond plants, but can't ship via Canada Post, especially not to the US. If anyone in Ontario is interested, PM me!
John

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have 4 leaf clover, water, but it is just now taking off, so not ready to be yanked and divided. It grew like a weed last year, being slower this year.

FountainMan

Reaction score
No rush. my pond is stocked. Next year I can clear out some plants that are becoming overabundant and replace them with more variety. Another plant I neglected to mention is a Giant Cattail (Typha Latifolia) The type usually found in drainage diches. I've got a 7 year old plant that fortunatly hasn't been as invasive as that particular species are reputated for. I've managed to keep it dwarfed. but I'd like to replace it with something more colorfull.
I have 4 leaf clover, water, but it is just now taking off, so not ready to be yanked and divided. It grew like a weed last year, being slower this year.
Which type is it? The floating varigated leaves or the type that rises above the surface?

I will happily pay postage to anyone who has healthy plants to spare!
That's the general idea. On the other forum the rule is the seller pays postage. But the buyer is ready to exchange a plant he/she must also pay postage on his/her part. It's a safety issue. Forum transactions can be dangerous. A friend of mine found out the hard way.

Reaction score
That's the general idea. On the other forum the rule is the seller pays postage. But the buyer is ready to exchange a plant he/she must also pay postage on his/her part. It's a safety issue. Forum transactions can be dangerous. A friend of mine found out the hard way.

I have also done this on other forums, if you are trading each pays their own postage or each sends the other postage before shipping both of which could be a risk if dealing with the wrong person. But if you are being given the plants for free you pay the postage to the sender first.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have shipped tons of plants, so far not burnt by anybody. The biggest problem is it takes about 3 hours, between pulling cleaning labeling, boxing, driving to town to ship. I need to be in the mood to share! lol

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have shipped tons of plants, so far not burnt by anybody. The biggest problem is it takes about 3 hours, between pulling cleaning labeling, boxing, driving to town to ship. I need to be in the mood to share! lol

I guess I got you when you were in the mood.. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

BTW my bog plants I got from you are doing great!

Ask a Question