Anyone hired a crew to dig their pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I remember seeing your pond, you did a great job!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't even know what that is!
Layers of rocks that turn to mush once they are exposed to air.

Shale
A bit of dirt in the layers of rock. I can't dig down more than 3-6 inches without running into rock.

I call it mush rock, saved a lot during the dig, it all turned to small rocks dirt after exposed to air and rain.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thank you for explaining @addy1 , I guess it's a good thing you live in warm climate and your pond doesn't have to be deep then huh?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thank you for explaining @addy1 , I guess it's a good thing you live in warm climate and your pond doesn't have to be deep then huh?
Me? nah we are coldish here, 6b do get snow ice frozen etc. The pond is 5.5 feet deep. One end went no further since I hit a rock wall/ shale and granite.

The other side I ran into our septic tank.

It was a pita to clean up the sides go to smooth out the side, move a rock and the dirt would crumble away, leave a hole, on and on. Finally left the rocks sticking out and put in carpet padding to protect the liner.

The downhill side had to build up a dirt berm to retain the water, around 7ish feet tall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry I must have confused you with a different member, I'm always in such hurry when I visit the forum
...but I do know your pond and the beautiful landscape around it, no confusion there! :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry I must have confused you with a different member, I'm always in such hurry when I visit the forum
...but I do know your pond and the beautiful landscape around it, no confusion there! :)
Well we are warmer than you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
After weeks of waiting for someone to come out and give us a quote for the excavation of this pond, we decided to take it as a sign, and start digging the pond ourselves.....first we are removing the slope

pondconstr1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
we hired a contractor who specializes in digging out foundations for new homes for our 25 by 10 foot pond 5 feet deep. he did it in a day and hit the spec numbers right on to the half inch.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
make sure you do not put it to close to your basement area because the walls will be damp all the time .Shale to me is like cement and the heavy red clay is just as bad .I dug miner by myself and thought that was bad 12x30 and 4 1/2 feet deep but then the liner nightmare .That thing is heavy for just one person .I thought of it like a pie shells half to half into the middle .Got under it and then slowly walked it into the pond .Worst was I got turned around under it and could not find the end with the waterfall pond to get out ..1st pond 1500 gallons 2nd pond 2500 gallons 3rd pond 3000 gallons and now just over 5000 gallons without waterfall pond .oh by the way I just turned 65 years old saturday .Wish I had gone pondless

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
we hired a contractor who specializes in digging out foundations for new homes for our 25 by 10 foot pond 5 feet deep. he did it in a day and hit the spec numbers right on to the half inch.
That was the plan, but for some reasons we couldn't get any of the company we contacted, to come out to give us a quote...but even if it would've been great to get it done in a day, I like that my boys are helping, they are doing way better than I ever expected and some day we can all look back and remember the journey

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love your flower boxes
I designed them and painted them, hubby cut them out and put them together. What I like about them is that they hold 5 removable pots, so if I need to change plants around or bring them in to avoid frost it is very easy to do....I made a small one for my chicken coop too, look

windowbox.jpg

Ask a Question