Anyone painted DOW Blue Board Styrofoam?

Reaction score
Has any of you ever painted or put spackling or cement type stucco to the DOW blue board insulation styrofoam? It's at Lowes. Home Depot has the Pink kind.
If so, what did you use and how has it held up on the outside?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The contractor put that on the outside of my basement walls and it has held up for since 2004 and so far no cracks that I have seen .The part that is underground has another kind of waterproof board

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Not painted it has a stucco finish on it and that is painted .He did a scratch coat over metal lathe and then did a rough finish .I wanted a smooth finish but he explained the rough finish would keep snakes from climbing the wall .He sowed me different finishes and there was just painted one

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
There are lots of finishes for the foam core board and if you go on the dow sight they actually show you what you can do with it .They show pics of painted and aggregate coated .It takes a learning curve to get through there sight to find the info.They call the blue foam IEF

Reaction score
Depending on what you are doing with it, you can apply cement or stucco to this type of foam, i have done it for my dart frogs, created fake rocks with it that is covered with cement. Its in a enclosure that's at 80% humidity and gets misted once a day.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used grout to make some fake rocks because it was clearanced out at lowes

Ask a Question