Anyone tried catfish or bass in a pond?

Reaction score
They might eat the tadpoles, but I think you would need a good size bass to get the frogs.

I finally got my pond filled. Only have a fountain on it so far. Went to the lake and caught 5 blue gill and 1 catfish. Brought them home and put them in the pond.

I still have along way to go on it, before I post any pics. Still need to build a retaining wall around the above ground part of the pond.

BlakeA

koiboy
Reaction score
KevinN said:
They might eat the tadpoles, but I think you would need a good size bass to get the frogs.

I finally got my pond filled. Only have a fountain on it so far. Went to the lake and caught 5 blue gill and 1 catfish. Brought them home and put them in the pond.

I still have along way to go on it, before I post any pics. Still need to build a retaining wall around the above ground part of the pond.

Gratz on the progress. I also second the dog food idea, we used to feed catfish in a local pond dog food so we could see them. Keep us posted. :]

Reaction score
I'm surprised these fish are eating so fast after being put in a new enviroment. I threw in a few bugs last night, just hours after I pulled them out of the lake and into their new home. Couldnt believe they are already eating. They must have been hungary. LOL

This is just too much fun!

Reaction score
This is completely off topic, but what lake did you catch the fish at and were you fishing off a boat or pier? That's a pretty impressive haul and I'm always looking for new fishing holes. Since we live in the area, I figured I might pester you for your secret spot.

Reaction score
HIROHITO99 said:
This is completely off topic, but what lake did you catch the fish at and were you fishing off a boat or pier? That's a pretty impressive haul and I'm always looking for new fishing holes. Since we live in the area, I figured I might pester you for your secret spot.

Heya Hiro,

Just north of Dallas in Lewisville, there is a little pond that connects Lake Lewisville and the Trinity River. (Or so I am told) It's actually in an apartment complex so you dont have to worry about a game warden. (I dont have a fishing license) I'll try and find the name of it. I cant remember. If you are familiar with the area, its right off I-35 and FM 3040. The Pond is back behind the Jack in the Box in those apartments. I've caught tons of Blue Gill, Catfish and Bass. Some pretty good size too! Just watch out for those pesky turtles. They are always trying to steal my bait. :D

There is no pier, but you can take a small boat out if you have one. I've seen one guy out there on a canoe fishing. I just fish right off the bank. I've been using hot dogs on a hook about 5 - 6 feet off the shore around 7 - 8 pm in the evening. Oh if you stay after dark, watch out for the Beaver, Yes a Beaver! Never expected to see that. Made me jump! Darn big one too!

I'll be going back there this weekend and I'll find out the name of the apartment complex and let you know. Have a good one.

Robyn

A Ponder-ing Newbie
Reaction score
Call me crazy but I think a bluegill (what we called sunfish) pond would be awesome! A friend of mine in the aquarium association I belonged to in CNY had a 250 gallon tank with powerheads in his livingroom that had driftwood, tons of plants, and sunfish. He refered to it as his "poor man's discus" tank! LOL

If you suppliment their diet with just a wee bit of color enhancing food... they are really spectacular fish! Brine shrimp would be great for this!

Here is a pic of a lovely captive bluegill that is fed a good diet:
bluegill.jpg

Ask a Question