anything special done for winter?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I agree with kirscp, do not run periferal things during cold winters. A pump in the bottom, running without hoses or pipes attached, pointed upwards is the best method. If neccessary, a deicer near the input might be required.

Reaction score
problem with that is "pumps tend to eat small fish" To much water exchange can be bad for dormant fish, as it brings the super cold top water to the bottom where you fish are.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
So put a small milk crate over the pump. Unless you have really small fish, that will keep Koi and most larger goldfish from the intake.

Reaction score
Here is a video of Koi under the ice during winter:

They don't lay on the bottom, they suspend themselves, and they do swim around.

As far as bringing "super cold" water to the bottom. All the pond water should be just about 32f, just above freezing. With only a few feet of water, there isn't going to be a temp change from the top to the bottom. If the water was colder, it isn't going to hurt the fish anyways. Koi can survive in cold water, as cold as water can get, before turning into ice.

You want to shut down your filters and clear out your pipes to protect them from ice, so they don't break. The only thing your fish need is air exchange and a few feet of water.

Reaction score
kirscp said:
Here is a video of Koi under the ice during winter:

They don't lay on the bottom, they suspend themselves, and they do swim around.

As far as bringing "super cold" water to the bottom. All the pond water should be just about 32f, just above freezing. With only a few feet of water, there isn't going to be a temp change from the top to the bottom. If the water was colder, it isn't going to hurt the fish anyways. Koi can survive in cold water, as cold as water can get, before turning into ice.

You want to shut down your filters and clear out your pipes to protect them from ice, so they don't break. The only thing your fish need is air exchange and a few feet of water.

Thermal layering of water does not usually occur until the pond (or lake) is over six feet deep.

Reaction score
SE Pennsylvania here. I leave my water fall on as long as I can. Neither the pump, the under ground water line to the waterfall, or the waterfall itself ever froze. However, the splash created by the waterfall begins to build up quite heavily and I eventually turn the pump off. I take it inside where I can clean it and do any maintenance it may need. I clean out the filter and take the mesh filter and lava rock inside. I have an auto-fill system and it needs to have ALL water blown out. Put in the de-icer and bid ado to the fish until spring. My pond is 24 inches in the middle and has not frozen anywhere near that deep (to this point).

Reaction score
I have an external pump so when I know it's going to freeze I pull it and take it inside. Otherwise I don't do anything else.

I've seen my pond frozen over with thick ice each year, and each Spring the fish, frogs, crayfish show up. I do have a mud bottom that helps with the fish in suspension from what I've read.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
in Arkansas i only turn my pump off when the pond is slushy with ice ,,,and its going to get colder....a few days a year....my pipes all drain back to the filter area...when the time comes to drain...i remove the rubber caps on the lines and filters...never pulled the pump

Reaction score
We had a cold winter last year. Had over two feet of ice on my pond. Most lakes had 3-4 feet of ice.

I've only lost 1 fish over the past 6 winters, so I'm doing something correct. This winter I will be using my homemade 50w deicer and my commercial 100w deicer. With the amount of $$ I have into fish, I don't want to take a chance of losing any.

Reaction score
If it gets cold get a pond de-icer, I have one from Tetra and it works well. It floats in the water and keeps an area of the pond surface open so gases can escape. I would do a 20% or so water change before it gets too cold and make sure all the leaves and debris are taken out of the pond. You will want to buy a net to put over the pond if you have falling leaves and what not in your area. It will also keep the predators out, we have raccoons and Blue Heron go after our fish!

You will want to shut off your water fall if you have one, as the water gets colder it holds more oxygen so you will not need it for gas introduction into the water. You don't want to run your waterfall if it is icing up, it could create an ice path that will lead your water right out of your pond.

Also, and the most important, as the temperature drops feed your fish less and less, I start feeding my fish Hikari Wheat Germ in the Fall up until the water gets to about 53 degrees F, then you stop feeding them until about late April (here in Massachusetts, zone 6b). If you feed the fish when it is below 53 degrees it can kill the fish, they cannot digest the food in that cold weather and it rots inside them.

One other thing you might want to look at is something like MicrobeLift's Autumn Fall Prep product, it has helpful bacteria that grow in colder waters that help break down leaves and debris.

lollyfrog

April
Reaction score
I was curious about new ponds. I just put mine in this year and have 4 frogs, What do I do for them? There is not much build up of debris at the bottom of the pond and I know frogs bury in the mud to hibernate. Should I put small container of mud at the bottom for them?

Reaction score
You can put a container of mud. They'll probably do fine without, but never hurts to be safe.

Reaction score
True that they are active in cold water moving slowly around. I have read a lot one pump or air for winter and nearly all prefer air over pump because of the water exchange thing so I use air have done for 16 years. My ponds are 3' and warmer at the bottom by 4 degrees than at the top. Depends on how cold your are is in the grips of winter. IMHO

Ask a Question