Aquaponic Gardening

Reaction score
There's quite a bit on youtube about building these systems, and I'm actually collecting supplies to build my own right now. Instead of using a pond, I'm going to try using a barrel or trashcan with the fish in it and a garden mounted right above it. Here are two videos on a bell valve, which is an energy free way to automatically siphon water out of a container with the plants in it. A "water tank adaptor" is mentioned in the first video, but where I live they are known as bulkhead adaptors and you have to go to a plumbing supply company to get one.
[ame]
[ame]

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Thanks exodus, I have seen many cool things on this. My tomato plant is not looking as good as it was. The weather is cooler then normal(who's isn't, right?) I havn't been feeding the fish very much because of this and wonder if I lack enough waste. Today will hit 70 deg F. So I will feed some more.

I have grown tomatos hydroponically with great success using a drip type system with Miracle Grow. I still think this will work with koi waste as my source of nutrients.
Here is a cool setup.
I first looked at this gus system when he first set it up. Looks like he has it figured it out.
[ame]

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
This thread is coming along nicely. I have seen some great videos and ideas shared. I like the 1/2 barrel idea with the double siphon. Large PVC pipe, capped on the ends and cut in half would certainly be more durable than plastic raingutter.

The Affnan Bell Valve is also shows promise for a continuous system. Finding the equivalent in US parts may require going to a plumbing store for some folks.

It looks like they are using the same gravel made for aquariums.

So lets start building now, the growing season is right around the corner.

This is right up Chef Daves plan for his next pond, where is he anyway?

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Good to see some interest here with this Dave. I have also built an a-frame that had a series of 4', 4" pvc flowing from the top down back into the pond, with connectors at each level. When I had my kill I took it all down.

I will try to get some pics of my ideas and progress posted soon.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
Koidaddy ive been doing more reading on this Aquaponic gardening, about what veg you can safely use in a fish pond, and i read that tomato plant leaves are toxic to fish !

i dont know how true thie is i just thought you might like to know

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
stroppy said:
Koidaddy ive been doing more reading on this Aquaponic gardening, about what veg you can safely use in a fish pond, and i read that tomato plant leaves are toxic to fish !

i dont know how true thie is i just thought you might like to know

I have heard that as well. My leaves are not droping in the pond and would be contained in the bog untill I remove daily.
But check out this. This lady experemented with it with no bad effects. Not that I would feed them to them.
http://www.bonniesplants.com/how_to/poisonous_plants_to_fish.html

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Update.

Well thing have just started to take off with the tomato plant. The cold really effected the growth here. Can you say $3 per pound at the market. The sun is shinning bright and it has put on new growth and had been flowering but not setting as of yet. I think its getting close. I also set up my ebb/flow system last friday and see good growth and buds on the plants as well. Here is a pic from last week. I will get another pic one sunday'

I scored these barrels locally here for $25 each. Used two for a filter and two for the garden.

Attachments

• DSC00059.jpg
    DSC00059.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 314
  • DSC00058.jpg
    DSC00058.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 255
  • DSC00056.jpg
    DSC00056.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC00057.jpg
    DSC00057.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 237

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have 3 upside down tomato plants growing next to one of my filters
I will just use the dump water to feed them

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
DrCase said:
I have 3 upside down tomato plants growing next to one of my filters
I will just use the dump water to feed them

Too cool, I just did the same thing with 3 other seedlingsI had. I have been using fish crap for years. Good stuff!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
My wife has been on me about planting her tomatoes and forgetting about them for ever
Now they are in more sun were i will walk past them all day and up off the ground
Lol i had her upside down things hung last year with out plants ..Way ahead this year
I should get extra credit ... :fingersx:
Taking the trash out is not enough :lol:

Reaction score
Yes, get all the extra credit( I call them chips) you can when things are good. You never know when you might need them I always say. LOL

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Yes extra credit is always good. I have built up a bunch other ways...hint, hint, nudge, nudge.:p:cheerful:

Here is a pick at one month in with the blue bin setup.
Peppers look good and are producing fruit. Tomatos are rockin but the nights are to warm for the fruit to set. I think the same is happening with the cucs and cantis. I still get beautiful flowers from them and they are still filtering water.

I have some beautiful butterflies in the yard but unfortunatialy they also leave catepillars on the tomatos.

I threw in a pic of Nessie. 16" pleco that survived my bonehead accident over a year ago. She looks so cool. See is 3' down in the pic cleaning a sloping wall.

Attachments

• MVC-001F.jpg
    MVC-001F.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 211
  • MVC-002F.jpg
    MVC-002F.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 240
  • MVC-004F.jpg
    MVC-004F.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg