Aquaponics

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hey all, Im coming from the gardening forums. I was told you folks may be able to better answer my questions. Im looking at getting into aquaponics, and Im wondering if I could get some pointers. Some things Im curious about: What type of vegetable did you grow? What type of fish do you have? How big is your operation? Dos and donts? Im probably not going to go much bigger than a dresser-sized setup or so.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome Belmont. Did you search for other threads on this? I think @MitchM and @mrsclem have both had luck growing veggies and possibly fruit.
I don't know anything about it but hopefully you'll get some feedback here. :)

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
What type of vegetable did you grow? What type of fish do you have? How big is your operation? Dos and donts? Im probably not going to go much bigger than a dresser-sized setup or so.
Lettuce, Pineapple sage, Carrots, etc.
Shibunkins (spelling ik)
50 Gallons where the fish are, not including the tray table.
Always have good biological filtration.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello and welcome! All I have is a bog for growing plants that are meant to clean the water for the goldfish pond. A while back I was looking for information about a certain type of DIY filter and almost everything that I Googled for that filter came back related to aquaponics. I was amazed at how aquaponics has grown [no pun intended] over the years, and there are just a ton of sites dedicated to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I've seen boat-loads of youtube videos where people are keeping talapia in a IBC, International Bulk Container. They cut the top 9 inches to a foot off and use that to grow the vegetables in, keep the fish in the bottom part and a moving bed biofilter in a 55 gallon plastic barrel. You can grow just about anything you want in them.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Probably should have mentioned before, I am quite limited on space. I want t, do talapia, but theres just ni way I can find the room for them. I live in a trailer park, so no basement, small home, tiny shshd no garage. Basically I set out a corner in my room for this, I like the idea of shubunkins. Havent decided on what Im going to grow yet, I hear tomatoes are a good option. I would do cabbage or something but I never use it so theres no point

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Could you take a pic of the area you want this in? If you have a type of goldfish or such then make sure you have a 30 gallon plus sized tank. Tomatoes (some variety's) can reach 10ft tall so make sure you have the space for that. Lettuce is the starter option and is useable in a variety of ways. That and basil.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Basically Ill build a rack to hold the system, and it will go where the dresser is. Thats about 3 feet 8 inches wide. If I really need to I can move more stuff around and squeeze 4 feet out of it, should be more than enough for a 30 gallon tank. Keep in mind the plants and aquariums are going to be on different levels. Im not after a huge operation, 4 or 5 plants is all. This first one is going to be a learning experience, so when I eventually move and get a bigger setup theres less risk of me wiping out a bigger, more expensive system.

Attachments

• tmp_32408-20170531_220222088-1958538396.jpg
    tmp_32408-20170531_220222088-1958538396.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 226
  • tmp_32408-20170531_2146491598185857.jpg
    tmp_32408-20170531_2146491598185857.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 222
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I think maybe a cherry tomato, some herbs and of course watercress would work. Look into LED grow lights, I know your hydro bills are what we Yanks would consider insane. I doubt you'll be able to grow cheaper than you can buy, but it'll taste better!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Grow lights are a good idea for sure. It costs about $2 for a 15 minute shower out here, by rough math. The extra price is worth the homegrown food, even moreso when you consider the knowledge gained

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Grow lights are a good idea for sure. It costs about $2 for a 15 minute shower out here, by rough math. The extra price is worth the homegrown food, even moreso when you consider the knowledge gained
Sorry, for most Canadians Hydro = electricity, but that kind of water bill is even more insane. When I was on city water the water/sewage bills were running around U$145.00 / 3 months and that included lawn irrigation, Port Huron MI, just across the river from Sarnia ON. Good luck on your aquaponics, sounds like you need it!

Ask a Question