Aquarium heater vs Pond heater/deicer (again sorry if questions are stupid)

Reaction score
So my back up air pump system worked and then crashed as well... now first morning it all melt... fish are ok but all my frogs are dead :'(

I feel so bad, all my spring big guys are now in a trash bag, it breaks my heart...

Reaction score
Horse trough heater $19.00..

Attachments

• pdh 2.jpg
    pdh 2.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 426

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Rivermist said:
So my back up air pump system worked and then crashed as well... now first morning it all melt... fish are ok but all my frogs are dead :'(

I feel so bad, all my spring big guys are now in a trash bag, it breaks my heart...

Sorry for your loss. Was it the lack of oxygen?

Reaction score
thx 99SRXMAN we' ve got three of another bran, floating ones.

But they came to late apparently as well.

Dave yes was the lack of oxygen... at least apparently they haven't suffered... a friend of mine who's a biologist assured me of that... still doesn't make it ok...

Anyway hope no more damages till spring comes.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
With humans, the lack of oxygen causes the carbon dioxide to slowly put you to sleep.

My oldest brother, who had a DNR directive, passed a couple of years ago. His grandaughter who is a respiratory nurse explained that to the family afterward.

Not a bad way to go, when the time came, my brother gave the word and 2 hours later he was gone.

I suspect the frogs did the same.

Reaction score
yes it's the same system for the frogs... even if their respiration slows down a lot in winter there are still exchanges through their skin... but if the gases can't escape because of the ice it'll slowly intoxicate them and they will slowly go.

Not a bad way to go, true, but the fish are having a hard time as well because of less oxygen and more gas.

One of the pond froze again last night... the fuse went OFF... I can't believe it seriously grrrr

Ask a Question