Aquascape style pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have to say who ever built your pond did a better job then most I have seen. There is no string of pearls around the pond, the water fall is off to one side and doesn't look like a volcano. What couldn't hurt though would be some additional aeration. As lisa said and I agree with fully is having the bog before the falls. you don't need to have a tropical jungle throughout the pond. The other thing I think is missing here is patience the system you have is designed to work with mother nature. And if I may say as the saying goes it even took god seven days to create the world, well give it some time. But if you keep dumping salt and trying to sterilize your pond as the koi dealer tries to tell you to do. IT;S NOT THE SYSTEM YOU HAVE. work with it not against it plants and more plants in the water 1 plant per square foot in the bog. What I love with the koi folks is sterile pond make it a box make it smooth and decorations no plants no nothing KOI ARE CARP they don't care if the water is full of silt or crystal clear giveum food and they are happy look at any JAPANESE koi farm they all have MUD PONDS you can't see a half a foot into the water. my suggestion would be to get the bottom drain you like the idea about that sits on the bottom and pump it up to the bottom of a bog preferably off to the side of the waterfall and let it fall down the falls. it will add air and you can have the plants out from the pond and in the back. Give it time if you haven't watched you tube there's some amazing videos there of koi ponds in the aquascape method such as you have here's one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Love your pond and wish you the best of luck in what you decide to do.
Thanks guys. I do have a diffuser below the waterfall. I'm going to go the natural way and see how it works out. I had to add salt to the pond because Koi guy thought I might have had a parasite or fluke issue. Starting to think there was no parasite issue. I brought the pond up to 3.2% for two weeks yesterday. Did my first water change yesterday to slowly remove the salt. Once I get it down enough I plan to buy some plants to add to the pond. I'm in NY and the weather has been very cold for April so far. I don't believe the pond has cycled yet. Checking all my parameters and all 0 or very low. PH is consistent at 8.4 and KH is between 124-140. Ammonia .0-.025 Nitrites 0 Phosphates .025 Salinity now at 2.9%. Water temp yesterday down to 55 from a high of 60 two days ago. Probably down a degree or two today.Fish seem to be doing fine. Getting hungry and more active. Had two days of warm weather Friday and Saturday and they were up around the surface milling about. Today is monsoon rain and back below 50. Any suggestions on which plants to use or stay away from please fire away. I would like to have something that grows up along back shelf and some kind of lilly pads in shallow bog area on left and shallow area on right front. Also I would like to get something like a vine type that will spread across driftwood over pond.
Thanks for any suggestions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You could put pots of lilies in the bog, but two things - 1. you probably don't want to plant them directly in the gravel because they can easily get out of control, so you'd be defeating the purpose of your bog and 2. most lilies prefer deeper water. Better bog plants are things like sedges, reeds, rushes, cattails, and basically any marginal plant. I think your bog is a bit deeper than most (more water over the gravel) so you may have to adapt a bit to make sure you aren't drowning plants that prefer shallower water. You could add more gravel, or choose plants that can handle deeper water. You could plant floating heart in your bog - it looks much like a lily with small yellow flowers. It can be fast growing, but it's easy to yank out to keep it under control.

As for your plant that would grow over the pond on drift wood, one of my favorites is bog bean. It's planted in the margins but it sends runners out over the pond - very cool plant!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Thanks guys. I do have a diffuser below the waterfall. I'm going to go the natural way and see how it works out. I had to add salt to the pond because Koi guy thought I might have had a parasite or fluke issue. Starting to think there was no parasite issue. I brought the pond up to 3.2% for two weeks yesterday. Did my first water change yesterday to slowly remove the salt. Once I get it down enough I plan to buy some plants to add to the pond. I'm in NY and the weather has been very cold for April so far. I don't believe the pond has cycled yet. Checking all my parameters and all 0 or very low. PH is consistent at 8.4 and KH is between 124-140. Ammonia .0-.025 Nitrites 0 Phosphates .025 Salinity now at 2.9%. Water temp yesterday down to 55 from a high of 60 two days ago. Probably down a degree or two today.Fish seem to be doing fine. Getting hungry and more active. Had two days of warm weather Friday and Saturday and they were up around the surface milling about. Today is monsoon rain and back below 50. Any suggestions on which plants to use or stay away from please fire away. I would like to have something that grows up along back shelf and some kind of lilly pads in shallow bog area on left and shallow area on right front. Also I would like to get something like a vine type that will spread across driftwood over pond.
Thanks for any suggestions.
I am sort of in the same boat as you. I built my small pond in August when it was to late to plant plants. So far I have good luck growing oxygenation plants under waster. I just planet iris and some other plants in the planters in the pond. They seem to be in shock so far do to the temperature change of being inside at a store to being outside in the pond. It is a gamble but like you I need plants to soak up the biological load from my fish. The weather is supposed to finally warm up next week.
As far as bog plants and lilies their are allot of great threads on that on this site. Your are going to need hardy lilies in your area. Lotus I have read are tropical and will not survive the winters in colder climates.
As far as a climber to growing over the log in your pond. You could use Ivey, but you would have to keep after it or it will take over. Maybe a climatis? They are a vine have nice flowers and are easier to control then mosey vines.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks everyone. Lisa thanks so much for the advice. I'm going to give it a shot as is. That picture was a few days ago. I have not had any issues with water quality since I opened it in October. Check my PH KH Ammonia Nitrite Phosphate every day since all the ice melted. PH is on the high side around 8 most of the time KH about 140ppm Ammonia and Nitrite 0 until a few days ago. Ammonia went up a tick in last two days about 0.30. Over the winter I got a good amount of string algae. Then suddenly it disappeared. Fish got hungry and ate all of it in 2 days. I have a issue now, seems to be with one fish mostly. Probably a parasite of some kind. Koi guy had me Salt the pond to 0.30 %. I'm going to let that be for a little while and see if the fish recovers. Then my plan is to do water changes to remove the salt, buy plants and see how it goes. I'm thinking my pond is 3500-4000 gallons. I think my pump is cycling the water almost twice an hour. Lisa I'm amazed how little you do and have no problems. I would love to see my pond look like yours some day. I'm not going to overstock my pond with fish. There are 15 in it now and I think that's my limit. Although Aquascape guy says my bog filter is massive and he says I can put 40 fish in with no problem. Even if it could handle that which I don't believe for a second its not going to happen. I know what you mean with the Aquascape being a bad word. The aquascape guy wants me to add different things like bacteris and other stuff once a week. I have read others say its totally unnecessary and a waste of money. Again a lot of different opinions on everything. I have already bought all the bottles of stuff so don't know what I'm going to do there yet. I'm shocked you never clean out the bottom of your pond? I would think that would have to be done occasionally. Anyway thanks everyone for the advice. I was stressing out before I found this site. I needed to see that this pond could work. I'll look up and read those threads you talked about. Thanks again

The huge benefit to having a bog filter over a sand filter sieve or uv is that phosphates, and nitrates are the number one cause of algae blooms and they are also the hardest to remove from the water column of any tank or pond. That's where the bog comes in what cold hard filters can not do is what mother nature does best. Plants and micro bacteria FEED on these by products and grow. Thus the plants over grow there area and need pruning or down right removal. In doing so you just removed the phosphate and nitrates from your pond. no water change the plants did it for you. The down fall is the new tank/ pond syndrome lisa mentioned it takes some time for the pond to balance out . You have already seen the tank in action with the hair algae if your system was not working you would be inundated with the hair algae. A great sign of a system that working. and seeing you have no plants even more so it's solely the bacteria and or the fish. All good

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Regarding your salt levels, I'm attaching a couple of charts that show the different salt levels which are fatal to different plants.
(In other words, the salt percentage listed is the level which the plant dies. Make sure you get the salt level down as low as possible.)
Plant Salt Tolerance 1.jpg

Plant Salt Tolerance 2.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Lotus I have read are tropical and will not survive the winters in colder climates.

Lotuses actually will survive as long as the tubers are kept from freezing. We drop ours down in the pond below the freeze level and they come back every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8A
Country
United States
Lotuses actually will survive as long as the tubers are kept from freezing. We drop ours down in the pond below the freeze level and they come back every year.
Ok that could be a game changer. Do I then assume that some lotus can survive cold climates or are you saying all lotus can survive cold climates?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ok that could be a game changer. Do I then assume that some lotus can survive cold climates or are you saying all lotus can survive cold climates?
Only 2 species nelumbo lutea hardy to zone 4 and nelumbo nucifera most are hardy to zone 8. There are varieties that originate from these two. When looking quite a few online sites will have a hardiness zone in the plant description. I have a dark pink one in my pond for years and am located in zone 7.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We have four different varieties of lotus in and around our pond - no clue what they are called, but all have survived our cold winters by keeping the pots in the pond below the ice.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have four different varieties of lotus in and around our pond - no clue what they are called, but all have survived our cold winters by keeping the pots in the pond below the ice.
Thanks for the tip Lisa and JHN definitely some great info as i'm in 6b and I didn't think they would survive a winter so I was leaning away from them even though everyone says they are amazing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lotus are doing fine for many years now. They are in a 300 gallon stock tank 1/2 filled with kitty litter. The tank is partially buried. We have had some winters that were in the 6a range, we are usually 6b. The lotus come back every year. I do nothing to prep for winter, they are on their own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I'm a bit late to the party but I'll go ahead and throw out some additional conformation for you on your forward plan as well as some suggestions for moving forward. I too have an "Aquascape style" pond, although I used none of their products or published designs. It is simply the same mindset/concept of a self contained ecosystem.

Like other people have already commented these companies are out to establish money flow after the installment of the pond through maintenance service and product sales. I can tell you that in 3 years I have never once added any chemicals or salt to this pond, with the exception of when I had a parasite issue early on and had to do a medical treatment. With the exception of the first month of the pond being installed I have enjoyed crystal clean water with no UV, no mechanical filtration, no bottom drain pump, no chemicals, and little maintenance. And this pond holds 25ish goldfish, a dojo loach, several white cloud mountain minnows, and in the summer I introduce various freshwater tropical fish.

I owe this low maintenance to my large bog filter that can be seen in the foreground of my waterfall. Additionally, what cannot be seen in this image is the numerous underwater oxygenating plants and water grasses within the pond, which has a rocked bottom by the way.

With all this being said I do get string algae blooms every year. But a few days of not feeding the fish and some occasional physical removal of the algae typically solves the issue.

As others have said I could not enjoy this water feature if it were a koi swimming pool, which is what your koi expert is referring too. I have nothing against such water features, and have seen dozens of beautiful ponds constructed in this manner, including several built by members of this site. However, my personal preferences led me to construct an ecosystem more so than a koi aquarium.

Hopefully, that helps to instill some additional confidence in your path forward and helps you choose exactly what you want out of your beautiful pond. With all that being said my humble suggestions for your situation are as follows, assuming you wish to continue with the self containing ecosystem route.

-Plant in your bog ASAP!!! This is your ponds filter and its beating heart. You will be amazed how quickly the plants fill out and grow off the nutrients you will be providing them. Once you get the bog established everything else will fall into place.

- KOI LOVE TO EAT! This was one of the reasons I opted out of placing koi in my pond. I am a gardener at heart and love the plants almost as much as the fish. From what I have been told the majority of koi will rout around in the gravel bottom searching for pond dwelling critters and algae. Thus using oxygenating plants and pond grasses will be difficult if not impossible, especially once the koi grow to larger sizes. This leaves you with 2 options;
#1: Determine if koi are what you wish the pond to be built around. There is still time to opt out of Koi and go with goldfish instead. However, with the size and depth of your pond and from some of the comments listed I feel as though this is not an option for you as Koi was the entire reason the pond was built. This leads you to the next option.
#2 Create plant shelves where the koi cannot access the various water plants to get extra filtration. This will also provide safe havens for other pond organisms that serve beneficial roles in the pond.

-Leave the rocks alone in the bottom of the pond and allow the necessary micro organisms to colonize in those spaces.

-I would also go ahead and add the discussed bottom drain/pump, plumbed within the current system up to an additional bog area. From the pictures that have been provided it looks as though the current bog is not big enough to sustain that size of pond, especially with koi in it, which have a much higher load than other pond fish. Adding an additional bog will only further stabilize the pond and reduce overall maintenance on the pond.

-Return the chemicals and additives that you purchased if able. If not able to return, put them on a shelf in case they are ever required, but I would resist adding them.

FINALLY, HAVE FUN!!! This is your water feature and it needs to be designed to your liking. Neither myself or anybody else on this forum can tell you how to fully accomplish that. However, we can provided suggestions, and a helping hand when needed. As well as boost confidence. We have all been in those new pond owner shoes, I personally still feel as though I am there at times.

Good luck and I hope to see many future pictures of your beautiful pond in the future.

pond picture.jpg

Ask a Question