United States

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Look guy im not going to go back and forth with you, I just gave suggestions based on my Own experience.
if you disagree, disagree, if you want to suggest your own ideas, plants and be productive, get at it.

Thanks
Nate

There's that attitude again.

I am not disagreeing with you, but obviously others that seem to be considered as sources, do.

I added my thought earlier..

The Hardiness of a plant should always be determined if you do not want to replace it every year. No-one likes buying a plant that they were told would overwinter, only to find out that it won't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Meyer; thanks for the link. I followed a couple of leads though, and there's no zone hardiness, which is what I'm most concerned about. That's why when I read the plant typically exists in southern countries/states, I have to figure my chances of growing/keeping alive in a pond, go down. I figured that if I can't get the oxygenators via usual online resources, probably there's a reason. Like you said; I don't want to replace them every year. I do like the idea of plant diversity both above and below the surface, but if conditions aren't conducive, I'll make do with what I can grow/control. There's more than enough variety as I've already shown. I just liked the idea of adding different plants. I may try some cabomba or vallisneria, but not until I have enough grown in an aquarium to withstand grazing/water conditions.

Nate; I think as you build your pond, keep this whole idea in mind re aquascaping, but realize you're more southerly and should have more success (than me). Still, try some that are NOT as hardy in your zone and see what happens. I think then you'll know what I'm up against. You can control all the variables in an aquarium (interior) but outside, I'm at Nature's whim. Many, many floating and marginals that I can use and I have. And the floaters reproduce so fast, and are very inexpensive to replace each year, that it makes a lot of sense for me to 'scape' the surface and not worry as much about beneath.

Michael

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Meyer; I appreciate all the effort re links, but even this one is giving only 'growing' conditions. When I looked up Hornwort, they don't mention it can overwinter. So, those temps you point toward aren't really going to do me any good. I think some chart/site that lists winter hardy oxygenators/plants is probably going to be the best. And the retail sites will address what they sell, usually, giving me the best chance of trying something different that will survive almost freezing temps.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am skeptical of the feasibility of growing underwater plants in a garden pond - my reasoning? I've seen lots and lots AND LOTS of ponds of all different kinds and not one of them had any kind of underwater plantings. (I don't count hornwort, as that is generally free floating rather than actually planted.) I feel if it were possible to do it, I would have seen it by now in one of the dozens and dozens of ponds we have visited.

One big deterrent will be fish - I know mine would LOVE for me to plant some things underwater for them to root around in. And that would be the end of that. My husband is always wanting to try growing some underwater plants, but the various searches we have done have turned up the usual two or three varieties, all of which we have tried with no success. The closest we have come is parrot's feather, which will grow from the shelf to the surface, but anything deeper than that has been unsuccessful.

I'll watch your attempt with interest @brokensword especially since we're in the same zone.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
upload_2017-8-6_19-27-18.jpeg

upload_2017-8-6_19-27-27.jpeg
upload_2017-8-6_19-27-33.jpeg

http://www.thepondguy.com/category/water-gardens-fish-ponds-submerged-plants

@brokensword Bolboltis (spellcheck) is also a good species, idk about 4ft depth though with it.. maybe when it gets bigger.

Any plant you can grow inside, can be grown outside, with a simple task:
Care for it well.

The pond we are making (I think zone 8? anyway we have below 0 winters) will consist of:

Bolboltis
Cabomba fruitica
Bacopa (caroliana, and monnieri)
Ludwigia rubin
Ludwigia repens
Dwarf Sagitaria
Vallisneria Jungle
Anarchis
Various Lilys,
So on so forth.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have no doubt the underwater plants can grow in a natural pond. But a liner pond is a whole different animal.

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have no doubt the underwater plants can grow in a natural pond. But a liner pond is a whole different animal.
lol lisak1 no kidding! :p I have owned (well you know what I mean :) ) a pond(s) before this isn't my first run, roots, TAP ROOTS, etc etc. The roots on these specific plants do not get long, or "hard" like Crypts for example. They are soft and skinny, since they are small (majority)

The fish we plan on getting also do not eat plants as their main meal..!

You will just have to watch my showcase I just started the other day, to find out ;)

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My aunt and uncle live in zone 6/7 have a water garden with just goldfish in it, and have an immense growth of anacharis/elodea in the deep portion near their waterfall. The stuff grows to the surface in about 3-4' of water, have to admit it is an interesting look.

I can't get crap to grow for underwater plants besides hornwort in my large pond, koi destroy it. Hornwort is just tough enough to grow back from little sprigs.

DutchMuch, those are some cool looking pics of submerged plant growth. I just built a 7'x14' x3' deep pond dedicated to terrapins. I am going to try and see if I can get some submerged plants growing in there. I am not going to put koi/goldfish in there, only native fish/minnows that I can get from the local streams, so the fish shouldn't tear the plants up too bad.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Meyer; I appreciate all the effort re links, but even this one is giving only 'growing' conditions. When I looked up Hornwort, they don't mention it can overwinter. So, those temps you point toward aren't really going to do me any good. I think some chart/site that lists winter hardy oxygenators/plants is probably going to be the best. And the retail sites will address what they sell, usually, giving me the best chance of trying something different that will survive almost freezing temps.

You might want to investigate this site as they list Hardiness zones.

https://www.pondmegastore.com/shop/product.php?productid=16430

Ask a Question