Are prairie dogs a danger to ponds?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a wood chuck as well , never seen him at the pond hes always in the back yard munching grass and clover. I've seen his tracks in the upper pond but never him/her

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We have a lot of wood chucks, only one was in the pond, it fell in and swam across to get out. Between them and the deer my day lilies don't do well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tempted to attach a hose from car exhaust to mole/prairie holes. There's a lot in you tube on how to do it. Some also use road flares.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Flow fill , soupy mortar mix fill it in entomb the little bugger

Reaction score
Country
United States
Tempted to attach a hose from car exhaust to mole/prairie holes. There's a lot in you tube on how to do it. Some also use road flares.
Google and you can find a reasonably inexpensive setup for doing that (costs about $30 or so. What I did not like about it is that it connects to a small garden hose (so I made my own similar setup using a shop vac hose).

My property had in the neighborhood of 50+ (I would estimate) large prairie dog holes everywhere. They were under trees (I would be watering a tree and all of a sudden a hole would appear and suck all the water down the hole), the holes appeared next to my house and garage foundation, etc.

I lost some expensive trees because of them (I think). I fought them for years, and finally, last year, I used that process. I think I finally have them under control. 0902201403a_HDR.jpg

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Google and you can find a reasonably inexpensive setup for doing that (costs about $30 or so. What I did not like about it is that it connects to a small garden hose (so I made my own similar setup using a shop vac hose).

My property had in the neighborhood of 50+ (I would estimate) large prairie dog holes everywhere. They were under trees (I would be watering a tree and all of a sudden a hole would appear and suck all the water down the hole), the holes appeared next to my house and garage foundation, etc.

I lost some expensive trees because of them (I think). I fought them for years, and finally, last year, I used that process. I think I finally have them under control. View attachment 137296
Where are you located

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question