arowana filter media

Reaction score
hi are there any other medias used with keeping arowana other then the usual charcoal nitrate remover n bio balls/max. would a protein skimmer improve water quality or will it b minimal effects.
please reply.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Please post a introduction in the proper area, tell us about you set up, what size, how long you have been keeping fish etc. Most of us here are pond keepers, but many of us have kept fish tanks as well. I will tell you this, You need really good filtration, need good water quality so please be sure and test and provide what your readings are and make sure you use a 100% full cover HEAVY top. Not the plastic hood! They can jump through that like wet toilet paper. I've personally seen arowana's jump 10-15' across a room! I'm not sure what arowana species you have by a yellow, I've never seen a yellow, I have kept, silver, black, Jardini, and red Dragon. beware, They all get HUGE! I would recommend no less than 100 gallon tank minimal 200 gallon or bigger is really the more appropriate choice for any arowana. I've had a silver and Red dragon out grow a 55 gallon tank in one year! My largest one (The Red Dragon) weighed 16# and was 36" long by his third year and was really to large for a 225 gallon tank!

Attachments

• Super_Red_Arowana_Fish_and_many_others.jpg
    Super_Red_Arowana_Fish_and_many_others.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 431
  • red dragon 2.jpg
    red dragon 2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 575

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
beautiful fish there fishin, I read about them on the net, aggressive, jumpers top feeders. sounds like a neat fish though.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Very cool fish, But require large tanks and pristine clean water, and they are serious jumpers! By far the worst fish other than a octopus as far as keeping in a tank! My big red dragon could pop open a 1/2' thick piece of glass and splash well over a gallon of water out of the tank in one sharp turn. To give you some idea how strong that is, It took two people to lift that one piece of glass of the top of the tank! Probably weighed close to 70# of glass, 8' long and 18" wide by a little over a 1/2" think and he opened it many times, I got to where I I had to keep two 20# dumbell weights on the glass top to keep it from opening it and jumping out, the larger they get the spooker they become. I had a pair of Silver ones for a few years and ended up dontaing them to the public aquarium here in New Orleans.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very pretty fish. Can't imagine having fish that want to get out of their tanks. I can see why you finally donated them fishin. I bet they love it at the big huge aquarium in New Orleans. That place is fabulous. Went there years ago w/ my hubbies family there.

Reaction score
I had an arowana in a 50 gallon show tank. He outgrew it in under a year, and I had to find him a new home. On same subject, I went to the CA Academy of Science in Golden Gate Park (San Francisco) last week, and they have several 3' long or longer in their rainforest exhibit. We watched one jump completely out of the water trying to get one of the birds in the exhibit. Luckily, they have a net over the water, or they would be losing birds like crazy.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Geez, I wonder how many birds they lost before they figured that one out :lol:

Ask a Question