ATP's Front Yard Pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
ACTUALY I JUST THOUGHT of something all depends on your style. @Jhn had posts around the pond and the net hanging from them. set up a trellis around the pond you really don't need all four sides with net, but if you did a framed arch way looking down the driveway could be interesting. ITY WOULD ALSO give dabbled shade to you and the pond

Last edited:

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
ACTUALY I JUST THOUGHT of something all depends on your style. @Jhn had posts around the pond and the net hanging from them. set up a trellis around the pond you really don't need all four sides with net, but if you did a framed arch way looking down the driveway could be interesting. ITY WOULD ALSO give dabbled shade to you and the pond
Interesting idea. I will add it to the list of heron deterrent options.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My Heron learned to push up the hanging edges of the net. He would come, sit on the dead maple stumps inspect the pond, fly down, walk around and push up a edge walk right in.

All edges now anchored down.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Didn’t net my ponds for probably 20 years, just put up with herons getting the fish, I drew the line though when other birds of prey started grabbing the turtles. So up went the 5” square wide weave net, while I am not crazy about it, kind of disappears, plus I have about 50’ of it hung like a curtain that can be pulled out of the way when we are out there. Really if you can’t do like Gbbudd did and take away their flight paths, everything else they will figure out, had the scarecrow water motion thing, decoys etc. the herons figure them out. I will admit the scarecrow sensor was fun when I had friends over and didn’t tell them it was there, well worth the money spent.
I didnt think the birds went after the turtles, unless of course they are very small. I would love to have a couple turtles in my pond but without a fence I doubt they will stick around. We do have turtles lay eggs in our front yard by the road (not sure what type) and found a hatchling painted turtle one year when opening our pool and a hatchling snapping turtle in front of our garage. Obviously, I would much rather prefer the former to the latter. So, hoping a turtle of the painted variety will find the pond and stick around.

Bummer on the "scarecrow" I had that at the top of my list if the Heron's start to visit.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I HAVE BEEN OF LATE but one duck or bird landing in the pond can make that all pointless as they transfer parasites from neighboring ponds
Right, for saltwater fish I quarantine and treat for all common parasites/disease and would rather not have to go through that process with pond fish. Hopefully, the Koi dont come as loaded with parasites as I found with the saltwater fish trade. Koi dont look to be that much cheaper, however!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
KOI CAN GET FAR MORE EXPENSIVE 1.2 mil is the record i believe and the fish died within 3 years

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I didnt think the birds went after the turtles, unless of course they are very small. I would love to have a couple turtles in my pond but without a fence I doubt they will stick around. We do have turtles lay eggs in our front yard by the road (not sure what type) and found a hatchling painted turtle one year when opening our pool and a hatchling snapping turtle in front of our garage. Obviously, I would much rather prefer the former to the latter. So, hoping a turtle of the painted variety will find the pond and stick around.

Bummer on the "scarecrow" I had that at the top of my list if the Heron's start to visit.
Herons only go after the little turtles but large hawks, eagles will go after turtles. The scarecrow worked for me for a season then the herons stopped caring about getting blasted by water.

As far as qting fish it really depends where I get them from. If a reputable dealer, I don’t worry about it. I have some 300 gallon stock tanks plumbed into a smaller pond, that I will occasionally qt fish in. Otherwise, I wouldn’t do it at all.

Pretty much the same way with my reef tank, but I pretty much only buy online from dealers that qt their fish. It’s been a loooong time since I bought a saltwater fish from an lfs

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
As @addy1 advised I also have my net tight to the wire fence I have around the bottom. Those birds will lift the net or try to squeeze through any place they can. I have witnessed this at my pond.

Here are photos after I tightened the net and added more pieces of wire in between the fence gaps. He still tried to stick his head through the net and push but could not reach now. Hah, I have beat him at his tricks!

IMG_9515.JPG

IMG_9519.JPG

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pond is getting there! Coping edge is finally rocked in and added some boulders in the lower section. Fish will have a nice sized cave and 2nd smaller cave in the deep section. Big cave has two entryways, which was accidental but turned out fine. Plan is to set aside rock for the bog coping, then put the rest in below water level. Used most of my large boulders, the ones left I will add around pond as landscaping and to tie pond in with rest of yard. Any leftover liner will be covered with cobble and gravel. Happy with how it has turned out so far!
396C3ED3-EE8C-4F42-BEC2-9C909B56C356.jpeg
A3C7AD0B-1362-443C-A151-7FF471D4D8FA.jpeg

CBD3AF7F-05B5-41AC-9EC6-DDB20D33FBBE.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
You’re staying busy! What’s the plumbing on the near side of the pond? Looks like it’s connected to a pump?

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Look the pit with rocks around it even holds water! Win!

Going on vacation for a week and decided to fill it while we are gone, leak test and figured it would be good support for the walls...idk if that is true but sounded good in my head :unsure:...gave me a reason to fill it.
EAF15DD0-6395-4FA4-A7BE-C7DE2AA2C23A.jpeg
5EF0D36C-0D5D-460D-83C5-BC516946B018.jpeg
ACBC633A-F453-4A8D-8CC2-F53BE9C09499.jpeg

Ask a Question