ATP's Front Yard Pond!

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Love how the shape is forming up. It’s easy to lose the curves as you start adding boulders.
Right, I was a little worried that it would end up as a rectangle. Glad I didnt berm up the low side and worked with the slope. The water level is pretty even with the driveway and its a cool affect when you are driving up to it, almost looks like you could drive right on it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You've done a hell of a job. The smiles on those little faces says it all

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your talkiing off for a while you may want to rig up some caution tape on wood stakes just as a i'm under construction and we are not done. incase someone goes for an accidental swim

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The water level is pretty even with the driveway and its a cool affect when you are driving up to it, almost looks like you could drive right on it.

Might need a way to make sure someone doesn’t accidentally do just that.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Might need a way to make sure someone doesn’t accidentally do just that.
We will have chairs to the left of the pond when driving in and more of a defined edge. I worry more about the mailman trying to do a k turn and back into it but with my truck there he can’t.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
After a week off from working on the pond was only able to get a half day of work done on the pond. Got the cobble wall mostly done in the deep section minus the foam and filling in gaps with smaller cobble and gravel. Added all the boulders I am using in the pond and I need aprox another ton of larger cobble to finish the vertical walls. Fabric overlayment is in the bog and I even doubled it up under the downward facing slits in the pvc.

Still need to find a good source for pea stone. The local place I am getting the 3/4 river rock has very small pea stone with a lot of fines and the other local stone supply has the correct size but its absolutely filthy, rather not use it if I dont have to. Contemplating just using the 3/4 river rock in the bog as well. I have plent of small cobble left that I also may cover the bog pvc with and then get the smaller pea stone with a lot of fines. Still not sure and open to suggestions.
65E6D922-1010-4A33-9459-A748F07E3583.jpeg
99746072-2A17-4E02-9BB4-BF6A260F8024.jpeg
A7AAAD2C-4BD5-4476-9C09-D53F84DC7F6A.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
3/4 RIVER is what i primarily had in the old bog for 4 years water clarity was fantastic . i did mix in some pea stone on the surface. And if doing a mix you can always get clean pea for bags at the big box stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Definitely use up what’s left in the bog before buying more, but if you’re doing a shallow, 12” bog (can’t remember) the more pea gravel you use, the more SSA you’ll have, which is what you want.

Don’t worry much about how dirty the pea gravel is. We’ve all been there, and we’re all fine. The fines will settle out and you can catch them over time with quilt batting if you want.

@GBBUDD: Maybe you have a better source near you, but the bagged gravel we can get here is just as dirty as the stuff at the yard. Probably comes from the same place…

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Rushed to get the river gravel in on the horizontal surfaces and completely forgot to take a pic until it was almost full. Water is cloudy but I dont see any point in draining it again since the pea gravel will just cloud it up again. Overestimated how much river gravel I needed. Will probably use most of what is left in the bottom of the bog and fill the rest with pea gravel.

Next steps will be foaming the bog spillways, plumbing the bog and hooking up the pump.

I purchased one of the digital gallon meters when filling the pond. Unfortunately, I didnt realize it started over again once it hits 999 gallons so I dont know how many times it went through that range. I shut of the hose when it was about 4 inches low and was at 550 gallons. So I am guessing its was either at 1500 gallons or 2500. Online calculators have it estimated at 3-4K but I am not sure how much rock displacement effects that number.
5979223D-DE31-4F1E-8AB8-A86319C1C79E.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Rushed to get the river gravel in on the horizontal surfaces and completely forgot to take a pic until it was almost full. Water is cloudy but I dont see any point in draining it again since the pea gravel will just cloud it up again. Overestimated how much river gravel I needed. Will probably use most of what is left in the bottom of the bog and fill the rest with pea gravel.

Next steps will be foaming the bog spillways, plumbing the bog and hooking up the pump.

I purchased one of the digital gallon meters when filling the pond. Unfortunately, I didnt realize it started over again once it hits 999 gallons so I dont know how many times it went through that range. I shut of the hose when it was about 4 inches low and was at 550 gallons. So I am guessing its was either at 1500 gallons or 2500. Online calculators have it estimated at 3-4K but I am not sure how much rock displacement effects that number. View attachment 150042
Love it. I estimate about 20% water displacement with boulders and gravel on all surfaces.

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
It's looking really great! It's going to be even more spectacular once it's completely filled and you've got water moving through the bog.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It's looking really great! It's going to be even more spectacular once it's completely filled and you've got water moving through the bog.
Thanks! I am happy with it and I agree, another milestone when I get the bog done spilling into the pond.

ATP

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Today's update: Pond is full and holding water = no leaks. Got a load of pea gravel with my truck and estimate I will need 3 more. Ran the bog plumbing before gluing and glad I did. Found, not surprisingly, like everything else they diffuse the best when perfectly level. Still a lot to do but feel like I am in the home stretch! Time to order some Lilies? :)
BBB7B14C-BCE2-4EA0-A38E-D7066CC0E531.jpeg

Ask a Question