Auto Fill Feature

Reaction score
Ok, so this autofill thingy, do I want it? I like never having to refill the pond or use treatments but how do you know if you get a leak? Wouldn't you just keep filling it without ever knowing how much is disapearing?

Also, I don't really understand how it works. I get what it does but not how to set it up (basically the mechanics). Anyone have an answer???

And does anyone out there have a recommended kind or better yet... a home made recipe???:lol:

Reaction score
Basically, when water evaporates to a certain level, it kicks this gizmo on. It is attached to your garden hose, which is always left on. So therefore it will put in as much water to the water line you indicate it to top up to. Whenever it drops below that line, the hose turns on.

However, this should not replace weekly water changes. It works really well if you live in warm climates and have evaporation.

Reaction score
Yeah we live in Sacramento, CA and it can get up to 118 in the summer (though thankfully not usually). I just am concerned that I will have a leak sometime and be wasting water and not even know it.

So it hooks up to your garden hose then! I was worried that there was a bunch of plumbing involved but that I think I cold handle :lol:

Reaction score
I have one works great would not have a pond with out it beets dragging a hose out once a day to top off. Basically works like a toilet bowl float you can set the water level you want it to be set at and it will keep it there. just make sure you use a good solid hose that will not leak or burst.

Reaction score
99SRXMAN said:
I have one works great would not have a pond with out it beets dragging a hose out once a day to top off. Basically works like a toilet bowl float you can set the water level you want it to be set at and it will keep it there. just make sure you use a good solid hose that will not leak or burst.

I was just about to mention the hose thing. I watched my neighbors pop yesterday. Left it out with the hose valve on and the nozzle off on a paver patio in 100 full sun all day. Another option would be a storage tank with water and a small submersible pump. The float will go to a certain level like the one in the toilet tank like RXMAN mentioned and that trips an electrical switch. The electrical switch controls the power to the pump and it pumps water from a container to the pond. When the pond gets up to the filled level the float rises and turns of the electric switch stopping the flow of water. I guess the hose works the same way but instead of a pump it's a solenoid valve on the hose at some point?

Reaction score
I built my own Auto Fill Device from a toilet flush valve and a ceramic planter. It's been working great for 3 years.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
You just need to make sure you keep an eye on it. I had a floating plant stick mine open and I lost everything about 4 years ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reaction score
I heard that because it is adding less than 10% of the pond's volume to the pond (aka small amounts) you don't need to add anything. I don't know if this is true but that's what I heard:cool:

Ask a Question