AXIAL FLOW SOLIDS SEPARATOR

Reaction score
Here is my final design for the "axial flow solids separator". Hope the images turn out (I attached two different types of file formats).

It is quite akin to the image that John Huff posted, but has additional structures.

Gordy

Attachments

• GORDY SEDIMENTER.png
    GORDY SEDIMENTER.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 1,225
  • Gordy sediment tank.jpg
    Gordy sediment tank.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 650
Reaction score
The images in my last post seem to look fine, so I will continue on by posting the images of the next stage, which is a mechanical filter set atop a biological moving bed filter...

Attachments

• GORDY MECH + BIO FILTER.png
    GORDY MECH + BIO FILTER.png
    40.5 KB · Views: 540
  • Gordy mechanical and bio filter.jpg
    Gordy mechanical and bio filter.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 588
Reaction score
Here is my "parts list" for the two subjects above.

A] Aerator: Matala MDB11

B] Bracket: Corner Gusset, mfg 80/20 # 4136 (use 4 to 6)

C1] Cover: For Tank T1, part of Snyder Industries # 5700000N—L

C3] Cover: For Tank T3, TAMCO # 3023

D] Drain, Shower, 2” PVC, 2 piece with strainer

F] Fitting, 2” PVC universal coupling

G] Gasket: Rubber, 1/8” thick, cut to fit circular area around tank.

K] Kaldness K3 biological filter media

L] Filter, Lakescreen, Decko model # 91601

M4] MATALA roll media, super high density grey, 22” x 6” Matala # RM22GY

P1] Pipe, 8” PVC

PE] Polyethylene, ½” thick, cut in disc (donut) shape to attach to tank T3 and sandwich SS
PE] Polyethylene, ½” thick, cut in disc (donut) shape for gasket G to attach to
PE] Polyethylene, ½” thick, cut in disc shape to support aerator A

SS] Stainless Steel mesh, 300 micron

T1] Tank, 120 gallons, Snyder Industries # 5700000N—L

T2] Tank, 15 gallons, TAMCO # 3002

T3] Tank, 17 gallons, TAMCO # 6141

T4] Tank, 55 gallons, Snyder Industries 5680000N—L

V] Valve, Ball, 2” PVC

U] Uniseal, 2” Uniseal # U200

X] Support, aluminum tubing, square, cut to fit across tank lip to hold inner tank.

Reaction score
I have discovered a flaw with my design above which is going to require me to alter it somehow. The Matala Roll Media (22" x 6") is too large to fit into tank T3. Tank T3 is only 21.5" OD and the roll media is 22" OD. I thought I might be able to compress it down to squeeze it in, but it is a no-go. The media is too rigid to compress that much and if I ever did manage to get it into the tank, it wouldn't be coming back out! I don't want it to fit THAT TIGHT! Working on an alternate design for that portion of it.

I am pondering omitting the Matala roll media and just relying on the SS mesh at the bottom of this tank (T3). The SS mesh turns out to be 200 micron, not 300 micron as I originally posted in my parts list. I may use Matala media sheets and just cut them to fit the round tank. Or pick out a different barrel (tank) that the Matala roll will fit into. Another possibility would be to add another small stage (square or box shaped) of mechanical filtration in-between the tanks which would be easier to clean. Got to do some thinking on this one.

Another alteration that I see will help is within the solids sedimenting tank (specifically the inner tank, tank T2). The holes to be drilled near the top water level on the hemisphere nearest the exit tube should be omitted. This will force the water to exit the inner tank (T2) only on the hemisphere opposite from the exit tube and that will allow any finer solids more time to settle to the bottom, rather than going right out the exit tube. Small change, less drilling, better results.

Gordy

Ask a Question