Aye Yi Yi! The Inlet Pipe Done Et Another Goldfish!

Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Like the subject header says....Another of my goldfish, whose name turned out to be Fred, went to Heaven today. The handyman noticed the poor return on the bell fountain, took a gander at the intake valve in the pond, and tried to break the news to me as gently as possible. All the remaining fish already knew about it.

(And, now, for an editorial comment: I sure don't like this Bad turn of events and my Goldies don't like it even more).

A mesh sock had been secured over the intake pipe after Fred's sibling was found in the pump. This time, the suction was so strong (with the bell fountainhead bogarting the water), it inverted the mesh sock, taking Fred for the last ride of his dear life. Fred was a very good fish who never had an unkind word for anyone. Please send cards and nice hardyaquatic lilies in bloom to your favorite charity in honor of this young innocent who went way before his time.

So, after lamentations on my part, my handyman got the fountainhead purring along after re-securing the sock with two bands and placing a large watering can (with a rock) over it.

I noticed about an hour ago that the fountain water wasn't as robust. I went to secure everything and, in my zeal (ok, I'm clumsy), knocked the upside down plastic watering can off and now the mesh is gone.

This time, I used a real light cotton sock with two hair bands holding it. Fortunately, tthe pipe is narrower than I or I would have been sucked in too. The watering can went back on to with a Bigger rock. I got very little water return through the fountain so I now have the pump turned off.

What to do??

Last edited:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Aye yi yi! is right! How frustrating for you -- and for the fish. Wonder if you could take some pictures of your pump & intake set-up so we can see what's going on.....

Reaction score
Pacific Grove (Monterey Peninsula), California
Hardiness Zone
Zone 10
Country
United States
Aye yi yi! is right! How frustrating for you -- and for the fish. Wonder if you could take some pictures of your pump & intake set-up so we can see what's going on.....

M! What's first name? Thank you for your kindness! While I'm a great parallel Parker and garden grower/nurturer The pond really does exist. I will do the best I can tomorrow. This will be a first for me - taking pictures w/ my IPad. In my never before seen act, I will endeavor to get shots of the outside pump and plumbing to my pond which is located outside my fence amidst plants. I'll also go for pictures of my pond (awaiting parrots feather)including the pipe that should be supplying water right now to my "fountain." Right now the pump is off as once I knocked over the watering can sitting on the outflow valve, gunk got in somewhere and it was over-laboring to push water through. In terms of the outflow pipe, it is way down in the (now) murky H2O. Hopefully, it may be visible by tomorrow.

Tomorrow afternoon, Around 4 P.M. I need to be on a plane to (wait for it) Panama. Allegedly, I will be sitting personing my husband Harvey's booth (at Panama's first Retread Tire show) in order to give him a couple of breaks. I'll let you know how that goes between my sleeping, resting, fainting and losing more IQ points from being incapacitated by heat. Lucy B (not a fan of hot weather, either) looked worried until I mentioned I'd have my Tzora electric mobility cart with me which means she can revel in the fog of Pacific Grove. Her demeanor took a decided turn for the better. She said to me, "Hay! It could be worse!" I puzzled over that until I asked "How?" Lucy: "It could be me!" The convention center is allegedly across from our hotel. You can bet I'll be thinking about her while driving over between the two. My fault:
I thought their Winter was our Summer. Being a product of the California school system, it's the Universe's way of reminding me that it's past time to make up for my lack of geography lessons.

In the meantime, my friend moves in to take care of all our fur and fish family, and my wonderful new neighbor who rescues thoroughbreds off the track will step in for Lucy Blessing in my absence of a few days. Hmmmmm... Which gives me an idea re having one of them get a professional pond builder over. Clearly, my fish no longer trust my promises (who would blame them?) Hopefully this act will restore some modicum of their previous belief in me. Wish me luck and, as ever, I want and need your learned feedback.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My pump intake is 3 inch pvc, the pump (exterior) pulls around 6800 gph, I finally made the, it does not kill the fish, snails, tads , does not get clogged with stuff , intake covering.

I took a 5 gallon blue lowes bucket, put a 3 inch shower drain in the lid stuck in a 3 inch piece of pvc (to attach to my line) then drilled a ton of 1/2 inch holes all over the bucket. That decreased the draw in any one place so there is no huge suction.

My stream pond has a exterior 1/2 hp pump, On that pump I took a 3-4 foot piece of one inch pvc, cut a lot of 1/4 inch slices in it. That decreased the suction in any one point that it to does not suck in critters etc.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Are you using a pre-filter on the end of the pond pump?

Here is an example of one (they don't all look the same)

41qysw0M0EL._SY450_.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I used a 5 gallon bucket to start but laguna pumps have cages around them

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I used a 5 gallon bucket to start but laguna pumps have cages around them
I just have a pipe going into my pond, my pump is external. Needed a way to cut the draw on the intake. I did filter material, netting, and all sorts of other stuff, it all clogged up to much.

Ask a Question