Baby Alligator Turtle found my pond :-(

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
LOL, you'll find him in a weird place, they almost always show back up. I've found them in closets, under furniture, in the corner of the bathroom. he should have a knack for searching out water, warmth,, and darkness. I can tell you this, lots better having a baby turtle lose in the house than, a snake, a baby squirrel, a flying squirrel, a baby bobcat, a whole cage of corn snakes, a Scarlett Macaw,(which I was baby sitting), or a African Grey parrot, bearded Dragon, myers parrot, or a hedge hog getting lose outside. BTW, all were recovered safe and sound. BEEN THERE DONE THAT!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, Larkin, are you serious you have had all those animals lose before??? I have given up for tonight. Been on phone so kind of forgot about him, but no one is acting like they are searching for him. I have a feeling that since he was so little, his shell was probably pretty soft, and the cats may have eaten him, but if they did, I would guess they will barf. LOL No mess yet that I have found. Dogs were outside, so they are not guilty. Will look again in the morning, and tomorrow after work. Funny thing is that when he was in the bucket (same thing with the first one I found ... if this one is a different one, and I'm not positive it's not the same one, but assume it is different), he hardly moved at all! So, it's hard for me to understand that he is moving and has gone very farm from the bucket. I know when they decide to travel, they can move, but I never even saw him move! Almost like he was in a semi-hibernative state. Oh well! Time will tell if he gets located or not. In the meantime, I will try not to fret too much over it. If he dies, I assume I will smell it. If he was eaten, then probably will never notice anything! I just am having a really hard time believing that either of the cats would have eaten him, though. Time for bed, after 11, tomorrow is a new day! Praying I will find that little bugger! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
laughing ! larkin, unreal, we only lost gerbils and hamsters in the house when I was a kid.............

Good luck country

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
As a kid, I had more than one snake get out of its cage. If I couldn't find it, I sure wouldn't tell my parents, though! John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Under fridges there is a pan that collects any water drips so you may want to check in that pan.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Oh, forgot about the hamsters getting loose, had that happen too. Had a corn snake get loose and thought it had gotten out and gotten away. about a month later my ex found it wrapped around the shower head, alive of course, whiile she was taking a shower, of course, needless to say, the reaction was quite funny for me, NOT so funny for her! I still giggle thinking about it! Try and imagine what yoy would do if you found a snake in your shower while shampooing your hair, Hint, 1.2 seconds after she spotted it, the kids and I got a .....eye full and ear full!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Well, guys, still never did find that little guy. Neighbor said he has seen way larger babies (more like 3-5" size) in his ditch, and was surprised at how small these (if there were in fact 2!) little guys were this time of year. He doesn't think they will make it through the winter (in the farm pond, he's talking about) so that makes me more than anything want to find him and any others and ship them to Larkin. LOL Told neighbor to be on the look out for more babies, as he is maybe going to dig out his ditch again this weekend and may find another one or 2 ...
I seriously think that if the little guy is still in my house and is alive, that the cats will "alert" on him sooner or later. At least that's my hope.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
UGH, that would be gross! lol, picking it out from a cat..... :pooh: well you get the idea.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Darn I was hoping to hear that you found him! Maybe he will turn up.
You might keep an eye on the cats poo cuz if they ate him I think strange particles would show up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Larkin, I hope you are still following this thread. You are not going to believe this! For some reason, reading another post about box turtles, I re-read our PM about the baby alligator turtle, and I sat here thinking, GO LOOK IN THE SUMP PUMP AGAIN. And, OMG, there he was!!!! Healthy as can be, too! Swimming around in the little pail I have him in (with a LID!) and looks to be happier and healthier than when I found him whatever it was a month or so ago.
Baby snapper refound.JPG
So, you will need to let me know if you still would like him, or if it's too late in the season, I will figure out something else to do with him. No worries, I figure since he made it this long, he is a fighter. LOL I'm soooo happy! This is a VERY exciting day for me. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Oh, and while I was typing this, with the baby in the little pail next to my chair, my year old cat, Tarzan, got him out of the pail so quickly I didn't even see him come check it out! OMG, now I know who carried him off. He will be placed in the spare bedroom so I can leave the lid open and he won't have to worry about anyone carrying him off again.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I'll give him a home. I have a tank set up and can house at any point, just need to move a couple of fish and drop the water level some for it's sun bathing island

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Remember, the guy you talked to said they didn't need an "island", but I'm with you, I would rather have one for him to get out on if he wanted to. If he prefers not to use it, then so be it. I gave him some plankton if he gets hungry. So far all he's trying to do is swim around and look at me. :) I used to have turtle food, but I guess I threw it into the pond when I had the little red slider turtle, although he loved the plankton and koi food better.
I'll get with you on PM and plan the delivery. I have him at my feet (as the cat already tried to haul him off while I was typing the note!!!) and he will go in the spare bedroom with the door shut during the night and when I'm gone.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
How happy I am for you finding that little bugger after all this time. Glad he's going to go live w/ koiguy who will take good care of him.
Hooray!!! Praying he has a safe trip and doesn't end up in Transylvania,lol!

Ask a Question