Baby Alligator Turtle found my pond :-(

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CountryEscape, Sep 14, 2011.

1. CountryEscape

sissy sissy

I love it when animals grow up together ,My first cat a persian angora his name was pussy galore and my chihuahua bandit and my ferret princess grew up together and the ferret and cat were bigger than the dog and when they started running and playing it would sound like a small hurricane going through the house and then I got another cat sylvester purrbody and geeze you had to get out of the way when they ran at you .So I guess you must have a ball watching them play together .They get toys but play with everything else .

sissy, Nov 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. CountryEscape

CountryEscape

You are so right! Neighbor was over this evening and got concerned when the Bostons started growling and barking at each other. She thought they were fighting, but they were just wresting around with each other. I can picture your dogs and cats running through the house. :) My dogs have toys, but if they are NOT toys, they love to tear things up. Right now I have pieces of toys all over the living room floor ... at least it seems that way. Pick up broken pieces throw them away, and tomorrow there will be more pieces they have chewed off. At least they are not chewing the legs of the table or something like that. :) Love the names of your cats. Haha

CountryEscape, Nov 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. CountryEscape

sissy sissy

Yep my first cat lived 17 years and second one was 19 years old and chihuahua was 17 years old too .I have ripped up toys too all over and hate to say chihuahua is worse at ripping them up than the pitbull .I love watching dogs or cats play .I never got another cat though after the 2 passed away .I've got my adoption papers in now for another chihuahua for pee wee to play with and just waiting for them to set up a home inspection .His name is pinto .fitting sense ford motor company in Edison NJ built the big failure pinto

sissy, Nov 17, 2011
  4. CountryEscape

CountryEscape

Aw, cute name, Sissy. So, a pinto horse is white and brown, or black, or golden, etc. Is "Pinto" the chihuahua bi-colored as well? :) I'm sure all will go well for you. Post pics when you get him!

CountryEscape, Nov 17, 2011
  5. CountryEscape

sissy sissy

pinto is 3 different shades of brown .My peewee already met pinto when I went to see him and they were a little scared of each other at first ,but that did not last long after about a half hour and a toy they were having a good time playing .

sissy, Nov 17, 2011
  6. CountryEscape

fishin4cars True friends just call me Larkin Moderator

Houdini's name fits him well. I went to go look for him a few minutes ago and I couldn't find him. I kept looking and was starting to worry as he wasn't in his tank. or at least I thought he wasn't. He's managed to wiggle himself into a plastic plant that is floating on the surface. he's dug himself so deep into it that all you can see his his nose sticking up. Took me a good ten minutes or so to find him. I placed a little piece of frozen brine shrimp chunk near him and he started gobbling like he was starving. he ate almost a whole chunk of brine shrimp and I found a mollie that was old and wasn't going to make it through the winter and decided to see what he would do. needless to say, he's enjoying his Thanksgiving dinner early! I can tell this little guy is going to have one heck of a appetite! I think the warmer water is making him hungry. I've got the temps cranked up to 80 degrees in the tank and he's pretty active considering how inactive they really normally should be. I've seen him on the plant, in the plant, at the bottom at the top, and last night before I went to bed he was just swimming around checking things out. Looks like all the air has escaped from his shell as he's swiiming normal now. the one thing that I am now researching is the softness of his shell. I know that baby turtle are born with semi soft shells but harden once they get in the sunlight and sun bathe. on this little guy his shell is still quite soft and knowing he's at least 2 months old has me a little concerned. It may just be a snapping turtle thing as they normally do not like to get out of the water much so it may take longer for there shells to get hard. Anyway, just wanted to report in and let CE know he's doing good and eating so i think we can call it a sucsessful trip made down south. Migratory turtle??? LOL

fishin4cars, Nov 17, 2011
  7. CountryEscape

j.w I Love my Goldies

Hooray for Houdini he's escaped the cold winters of IL to live in warm, sunny LA. What a feat of magic! Now will this little guy stay inside during the winter and go outside during the summer where he can try to escape? You mentioned about them needing sunshine so I was just wondering. Glad he made it safely! Oh yes and ya know we do want pictures Larkin!

j.w, Nov 17, 2011
  8. CountryEscape

He'll be kept inside this winter, I'll be given them all a outside home when it warms up. may not be here though. I finally got my suit settled, been looking for a new place to move. FINALLY after 5 years I can finally say I can see light at the end of the tunnel. So another pond or more than one is in the future for me. Yippie! trying to figure out now where we are going to move to, We had always said north Ga. but were now narrowing the choices down to this area, Southern Ark. or possibly back to Mississippi. Not going to be a easy search as we want enough land to be able to build a farm for the animals, plus be able to run a business off of the property. I'm thinking I want to open a pond/Koi/fish store but keep it where i can walk from the house to the business and still be close enough to a major airport to be able to ship live fish/plants/reptiles from the business to be able to sell online as well as out of store. Still a lot of figuring to do and not sure that's what I'm going to do yet or not. But the plan has been twisting around in my head for many many years.

fishin4cars, Nov 17, 2011
  9. CountryEscape

sissy sissy

gosh he must think he went on vacation and doesn't want to go back maybe thats why he's hiding .Well good luck on your search and you may want to think about the weather where ever your thinking of going .Seems like tornado alley is spreading out by what the weather experts say .I moved here because of the nice weather but still a change of seasons and it is much cheaper to live .So many houses on the market right now and at great prices you have a good pick .Friends of mine just bought a house in Chatham VA on 8 acres for 52 thousand .

sissy, Nov 17, 2011
  10. CountryEscape

CountryEscape

Congrats on your settlement in the near future. Larkin! Hope you find the place of your dreams. It will mean lots of work to get it where you want it, but it will be worth it.
    I'm super glad that Houdini is enjoying his new digs and that you found food he enjoys. I know the other baby snapper I found the day before Houdini came (if it was a different one, that is) also had the same type of shell, so I think that is normal for this area. I know the red slider has a softer shell and it was semi-hard but he was bigger.
    And, with his "disappearing" skills, now you know what I was going through trying to locate him for hours here in my house, having no clue of where he may have gone. At least now I know to never give up, and never assume the cats ate him, I'll look forever next time I have a critter get loose in my house. It's very possible he was always in the sump pump pit, and I just simply did not see him. I know I remember reaching in there and feeling all around with my fingers the first time, though. It's still possible he was snuggled up against the pipe on the back side and I didn't see him. Anyhow, glad he is enjoying the plants, etc. in his new environment.
    And, you didn't say, Larkin, but if he needs sunlight to harden his shell, will an aquarium light do the same thing? I know when I had a little slider, the pet store told me it needed a bright light that would put out a small amount of heat, so it could get completely dry every now and then, but that is the red slider, and they are always on logs, etc. I still have that very costly light, too. Stupid me bought it at the pet store. LOL Now I know I should have gone to the farm and garden store and gotten a heat lamp shade, and then used a regular bright light bulb. Live and learn ....

CountryEscape, Nov 18, 2011
  11. CountryEscape

The turtle table has a light designed to emit 10 uv I put him in there today for about a hour and left him under the light in a bowl of water. I'm going to give him some outdoor time as well when it warms up next week, (suppose to be back up to 80 next week here) I have a outside pen that they both can go in and just have to add a large bowl or shallow dish of water for him to sit in while he's getting sun. i leave the succalta out for 4-5 hours when temps are above 80 but I have to keep him in the indoor enclose during the cooler weather. he's a desert tortoise so temps below 70 make him cold and want to hibernate.

fishin4cars, Nov 18, 2011
  12. CountryEscape

CountryEscape

OK, I had to look up your tortoise and came up with this picture, which is adorable! Like a picture of Daddy, Mommy and Baby. :) Not sure if the picture will be the right size or not, as I copied it from a website. :)
    tortoises 072.jpg

So, how large is your land turtle? I guess they won't bother each other, as one is water and the other is land. Looks like the land turtle is going to be the largest of the two when full grown, too.

CountryEscape, Nov 18, 2011
  13. CountryEscape

Mine is like the baby on the Mama's back, He is about the size of a tennis ball now, when I got him two month's ago he was just bigger than a golf ball. that doesn't sound like much but I would say he has probably doubled in size since I got him. Houdini is cool too, he's feeding VERY well! I've given him a few things and so far the only thing he's turned down are the aquatic turtle pellets. Funny, none of the five turtles we have will eat any turtle pellets. The 3 Musk turtles pretty much feed off of snails, insects, tadpoles, and such in the pond they are in, ( No longer in the koi pond) I was feeding them some koi pellets every two or three days but i guess like the koi they have slowed down on their eating and not coming to the shallow for food since the water has been cooling off.
    When full grown the snapper could actually be the larger of the two. A full grown sulcatta gets about 24-28" long and can weigh 100 lbs, I've seen snappers that were 36" across and weighed close to 150# But I have heard of some bigger. .thing is though, I could see a Sulcatta grow to full size from a baby, They can get full size in 15-25 years and live to be over 100, on the alligator snapper It takes them 30-50 years to get 30"-36" shells That would put me 90-110 years old, I doubt I will live that long and even if i do, I doubt i would still be keeping a alligator snapping turtle in a nursing home! lol

fishin4cars, Nov 18, 2011
  14. CountryEscape

HARO Pondcrastinator

You never know, Larkin. I hear some nursing homes encourage pets. John

HARO, Nov 18, 2011
  15. CountryEscape

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yep and they can't be any worse to get along w/ than John's dearly departed MIL

Notice the fur in his mouth...........yikes!

[​IMG]

j.w, Nov 19, 2011
  16. CountryEscape

HARO Pondcrastinator

Yup, j.w., she'd put any snapping turtle to shame! :twisted: John

HARO, Nov 19, 2011
  17. CountryEscape

LOL, I bet that cat was really surprised. I don't usually like any kind of injury to another animal but I couldn't help but laugh. Looks like all he got was fur but he did get a mouth full!

fishin4cars, Nov 19, 2011
  18. CountryEscape

CountryEscape

LOL, JW I showed that to my sister who has a cat almost identical to that one, and to my brother who loves cats. We all had a good laugh watching it over and over, got more out of it each time it repeated. Thanks for sharing. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

CountryEscape, Nov 19, 2011
  19. CountryEscape

sissy sissy

poor kitty took a licking but he is still ticking .I'm sure he now watches that turtle

sissy, Nov 19, 2011
  20. CountryEscape

PremiumKoi

Larger ones would destroy your fish so the fence could be a good idea.

PremiumKoi, Jul 15, 2016
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question