Baby raccoon won't leave!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by taherrmann4, Aug 9, 2011.

1. taherrmann4

j.w I Love my Goldies

Love the pix tmann, keep posting them. They sure do look like little bandits caught w/ the good in their little paws hiding in the grape leaves :cheerful:

j.w, Aug 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. taherrmann4

taherrmann4 Tmann

The other one is very shy takes off running across the arbor when I go out to take his pic. The one in the pic is very photogenic.

taherrmann4, Aug 17, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. taherrmann4

blessedfamily

I love seeing the pics..thanks for sharing.

blessedfamily, Aug 17, 2011
  4. taherrmann4

taherrmann4 Tmann

It's the nightly pics of my two newest pets...

The first pic is where he was hanging on the grapevine that has fallen down from him or her climbing on it to get to the grapes, not sure how he hasn't fallen.

The second and third are where I thought I was taking a pic of one but when I downloaded to the computer there were two there.

Attached Files:

addy1 likes this.
  5. taherrmann4

CountryEscape

I'm sorry, but I just love this thread! Those babies are so adorable, they look like they are having a conversation with you, such expression in their eyes! And, you were thinking of getting rid of them if they didn't leave .... bet you're having as much fun as us, especially since you know who comes first, and when the whole family is there, and who is left last. LOL They just look like their face is painted. Thanks so much for sharing your babies with all of us TMan. :razz:

CountryEscape, Aug 17, 2011
  6. taherrmann4

j.w I Love my Goldies

I know Country this is so fun seeing them every day and night. I giggle at every photo and the ones w/ the two of them peeking down made me laugh out loud.
    Tmann these little critters make my day! I look forward to seeing them from now and even til they bring their grand-kids :wub:

j.w, Aug 17, 2011
  7. taherrmann4

Nova

With the photos you could probably sell them, enter them in competition or get them published in a wildlife magazine, perhaps with your state's wildlife department.
    I want to see a pic of the arbor holding up your grapes. Did you make it?

Nova, Aug 17, 2011
  8. taherrmann4

addy1 water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins Moderator

agree with all the above! keep posting my fav thread right now! love them they are so darn cute.

addy1, Aug 17, 2011
  9. taherrmann4

j.w I Love my Goldies

Where are the little buggers this morning?

j.w, Aug 17, 2011
  10. taherrmann4

taherrmann4 Tmann

Nova here ares some pics of my arbor. I built it about 7 years ago, have had the grapes growing on it since then. The grape vines have done ok but they are a real mess, obviously with the raccoons eating them and dropping the skins on the patio every night and the others that just fall. I am looking for something else to grow on the arbor that will provide shade and not be messy or take over the whole back of the house either.

Attached Files:

11. taherrmann4

taherrmann4 Tmann

The one guy likes his pic taken the other not so much, I think the flash startles them a bit. They were here by 8:30 tonight looking for any grapes that may be left. They are so funny to watch climb on the arbor, upside down hanging onto grape vines. When I go out there they stop what they are doing and find each other to hang out while I take their pic.

Attached Files:

taherrmann4, Aug 19, 2011
  12. taherrmann4

once again the cuties! They are each others safety comfort buddy, how sweet, like hugging your teddy bear.

addy1, Aug 19, 2011
  13. taherrmann4

CountryEscape

Agree, Addy. I'm sorry, T'Man, but I will never tire of seeing the pictures of these babies! Keep 'em coming! They remind me of the 2 I raised, Jethro and Ellie Mae. :) Ellie was very independent and playful, Jethro was more shy. I hope they keep coming for a while yet! Maybe you will have to feed them if the grapes run out. LOL

CountryEscape, Aug 19, 2011
  14. taherrmann4

j.w I Love my Goldies

Yay the kids are in the vines, life is good for the sweet babies.
    I think they should be the forum mascots and live w/ tmann forever!

j.w, Aug 19, 2011
    addy1 likes this.
  15. taherrmann4

Good Idea!

addy1, Aug 19, 2011
  16. taherrmann4

CountryEscape

Yeppers, I third that idea. What do ya think, Tmann??? Maybe you could let them have a room in your house for the winter to hibernate in, keep them safe, huh? :)

CountryEscape, Aug 19, 2011
  17. taherrmann4

taherrmann4 Tmann

Forever is a long time, they can stay for a few more months but I am concerned that once they see the fish they will start going after them. Seeing how this is a pond forum I am not sure they would make good mascots, maybe I could change my avatar to one of them.

I do have 3 extra bedrooms in our house however I don't think the dog (Grace) would be too keen on this idea. She watches them like a hawk when they come at night, you can't get her attention when they are there.

I will keep the pics coming as long as they show up. I am hoping that I can get some pics of them somewhere besides the arbor.

taherrmann4, Aug 19, 2011
  18. taherrmann4

Nova

And the problem with raccoons is that they are extrememly good at problem solving and with those nimble fingers they can get into most anything. So even if you cover your pond and lock it down they will find a way in. You may have to end up live trapping them and moving them another place.

Nova, Aug 19, 2011
  19. taherrmann4

CountryEscape

You're absolutely right, Nova. I've heard that racoons only fish in the shallows, though. Is that correct? If so, then you may be safe with your fish, as long as they can't sit in a shallow area to "fish". I think they mainly eat stuff that is caught in the shallows, like in streams and creeks. I don't think they will be able to catch your big fish, assuming they go to the bottom at night like most fish do. Good luck! At least for now they are not a threat, but Nova is right, if they become a threat, the deal is off, and they will have to move.

CountryEscape, Aug 20, 2011
  20. taherrmann4

Mrshkoiluver

I have a raccoon that has been spending the night in my maple tree for the last couple of nights. My hubby thought I was joking when I told him a coon just went up the tree until got the flashlight an showed him. He is not afraid at all. They are a relative of the bear family and will hiss at you like a cat if they get mad. This is the time of year they come looking for food to eat before winter hits. He came down and went to the back part of the pond where the rocks are unstable. The rocks moved and scared the heck out of him and he went back up the tree. A couple of months ago all of our plants were nocked off the edge of the pond and we had to fish them out and I figured it was a raccoon. They do like water and can swim. Just can't dive for the fish so if they stay at the bottom they are ok. My pond is 3.5 foot deep. So far they are ok. They may be cute but they can really tear things up and can be mean. If you feed them they will stay. I hope mine is not looking for a new home for his family. I don't let my dog out by himself at night. My friends cat got killed by a raccoon. The raccoons in our area carry rabies, distemper and a ring worm in their feces. Make sure your pets vaccinations are up to date.

Mrshkoiluver, Aug 20, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question