Baby raccoon won't leave!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Whatever you do, don't hit it with a shovel! Guy up here in Toronto chased a family of coons out of his back yard with a shovel; the neighbours complained and he was charged with several counts. Hasn't come to trial yet, but he could do 10 years on the 'cruelty to animals' charge!!! John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
look at this way he loves you so much he's bringing his family back with him or could it be a hot date he's taking out for fine dining experience .All he needs is candles and romantic music

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
These guys are like clockwork. This pic is actually two of them one looking at me and the other looking the other direction.

Attachments

• P1030228.JPG
    P1030228.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 268

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
funny how he looks right at you and is not the least bit scared .I have seen coons that hiss at you like a cat at the house in PA and growl also to scare you away .They must be used to seeing people and don't feel threatened .They are probably making wine in there belly full of grapes .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Taherrmann, I raised 2 babies one year, with the full intention of releasing them. They are very adaptable to humans. In fact, if you wanted them to stay, you could be hand feeding them by now. Their mother likely got killed, or weaned them and left them to fend for themselves. They are only doing what nature taught them ... survive. :) My babies were like that commercial, JW, but they didn't sleep with me. But, I would call them "Babies, come on inside" and they would come running from the woods. My Golden Retriever carried the male around when they were little (they were given to me to raise when they were less than a month old, far smaller than your babies), and the female would run alongside. Ellie Mae and Jethro, don't you know. LOL But, because they have little fear of humans, they are a nuisance. A live trap will catch both of them in one night, likely. We've caught mom and 3 kids before. What a bloody mess that trap was in the a.m., cause Mom was frantically trying to open that darn door! Relocated them to neighbor's woods. I've caught litters of wild kittens in a live trap. If you catch one, put either another trap next to the first trap with sibling in it, or put first captured baby in a crate and live trap next to it. Really easy fix. But, don't put them in someone's yard you hate, as they may shoot them. :-( Relocate them to woods in the country. :) I've sure enjoyed the adorable pics.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So so cute tmann, Thanks for sharing, they have made you their new daddy!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Sweet little critters!
Yeah, just love the way they bite the heads off the goldfish and leave the mess on the lawn. Or make your water hyacinth look like they've been put through a blender. Oh, yes, almost forgot the six or seven bird feeders they have destroyed over the years! And did I mention pulling the heads off chickens and killing rabbits in their hutches? Sweet, lovable little bas----s! Oops, sorry; I do like them... the further away the better. John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh John I know you just love them to death. They are just trying to survive like the rest of us here on God's good earth. Imagine what they have to say about us if they could speak. "Darn humans, w/ all their noisy contraptions, speeding around flattening our friends, taring up our forests, taking away our food, and chasing us off what they call their property w/ brooms and water scare crows, crazy people, lol!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OMG, Haro! You've had more than your share with raccoons! Those sound like adults, but babies do grow up ....
I have red foxes in my area. See them pretty often, even saw one cross road then into the corn field mile away. I did not bring my 27 head of laying hens when I moved 2 years ago because of the frequence of seeing the foxes, and knowing they would dig into my coop and kill them all. Besides, they laid WAY too many eggs for me to get rid of. They sure loved the way I cared for them, I guess. I hate throwing things away now, thinking how the chickens would have loved that rotten tomato, or watermelon rind. Now I have to rethink about what the koi may enjoy!
Do I have to worry about the fox fishing in my pond??? Again, I have dogs, and the beagle stays outside. I've never seen the fox close to my house, and I do have the farm pond for them to go fishing in. Just wondering. I'm searching for a big dog, trying to decide what breed still - German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Doberman .... whatever it is it needs to be VERY people friendly, not aggressive, but hate other animals coming into my yard .... except for the neighbor's jack russell, who is welcome just like my Bostons are welcome to visit her!
My goodness, JW, I would think that whale would get tired of jumping like that after a bit! LOL

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think so country, I have never heard of them trying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Good to hear, Addy! Whew! I know there are a bunch of them, or a very large family, as many times as I see them scamper across the road. I think they are beautiful critters! But, if they came after my fish, I would have to rethink their place in my township. LOL Glad they get to hang around. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The ones we have here stay out in the fields, so far have not seen him hanging around on our acres, but we don't have chickens/ducks etc to attract them.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We used to have a fox den in the woods just fifty feet or so from the back fence. We would see their tracks in the snow around the chicken aviary every winter. Then the coyotes moved into our area! now there are no more foxes, no more groundhogs, and barn cats are an endangered species, but for some reason there has been no decline in the raccoon population. John

Ask a Question