Back up air

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I do get worried about power outages and I know it’s not the end of the world I think it would by nice to have a battery backup air pump. They got this little live bait pump on Amazon that pulls half an amp at 12 volts and I thought that could be handy to run off a ac relay for power outages. Anyone doing this? I did just about order what I needdd for it the other night, but then I took my logic to the next step and got sidetracked on just going off grid for the whole property. But that’s a whole thing so again, in the meantime, worth it? The bubble thing?

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Can’t hurt if you have a smaller pond, for me and My pond if I am without power long enough to cause problems with my fish, I will have bigger fish to fry…….so to speak. Also have a house generator, so can just run electric cords out there temporarily.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Moving all my fish over today from old pool/pond, so just trying to be safe. But what’s funny is that I never had back up on that one for last 6 years, I just can’t help the urge to build in gadgetry to the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Moving all my fish over today from old pool/pond, so just trying to be safe. But what’s funny is that I never had back up on that one for last 6 years, I just can’t help the urge to build in gadgetry to the pond.
never know you might create something that could be the next trend or even make some money. i never expected to win anything with my pond. i built it for myself and my family. Stranger things can happen.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, I saw that. Congratulations!

So far, I’m just happy that I like it. I think others may. My kid does. Wife is even cracking smiles, I catch her if I turn around real fast.

But back to bubbles in general. I think I like them to be around in the ready. It’s not that I don’t like them, I just feel better when they are not around.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It’s never a bad idea to have a plan. But this summer, we were without power for about 4 days…..in the midst of a record heat wave (temps in the 3 figures). We eventually got a little generator, but it was not used for the fish. Again, they did fine in the shade with lots of plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I’ve decide to make it. I’ve seen some chezzy ones on the interwebs , but that would be tacky and too easy

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What amazes me is how dumb gold fish are by comparison. they will swim over the vanishing edge or negative edge over and over and over, they only stop when i miss noticing they have done it again and end up in hells gate and they vanish, I'm guessing from the racoon.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
What amazes me is how dumb gold fish are by comparison. they will swim over the vanishing edge or negative edge over and over and over, they only stop when i miss noticing they have done it again and end up in hells gate and they vanish, I'm guessing from the racoon.
RACIST :joyful:

Reaction score
Country
United States
They got this little live bait pump on Amazon that pulls half an amp at 12 volts and I thought that could be handy to run off a ac relay for power outages. Anyone doing this?
Yes, I put this together after losing a tank of tilapia to a power outage followed by two snow days. It was a smelly mess to return to. The students complaining about it didn't make things better. This aerates two 65gallon tanks. I figure I will have 3 to 4 days of aeration if the power goes out. Actually, the power going out isn't the problem at school, its the power coming back on. They used the cheapest GFCIs they could find when building the school and they trip very easily. I have replaced a few when no one was looking.
IMG_2565.JPG

Ask a Question