Ball valves (PVC) -- recommendations please

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm not to that point yet, but soon...... I'll be converting all of my old corrugated tubing over to flex-PVC. The picture shows the set-up I currently use which works fine, but it's not compatible with flex-PVC, so I'll have to make my own version using PVC ball valves and fittings. I have a submersible pump that will be split with a "Y" fitting, between 2 areas, and each area will require a valve to regulate the flow.
image.jpg

My experience with ball valves is that they do the job, but can be 1) hard to turn, and as a result 2) sometimes precise control is hard to get. Granted, my only experiences have been with the ones purchased from Home Depot or Lowes, as well as the Oase one pictured (which has been the best & easiest so far).

Do y'all know of any brands or types of PVC ball valves that might be easier to work with than others? Oh, and it's for 1.5" tubing.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How do you connect flex-PVC to valves and other fitting?
WOW, quick response, there! You connect it exactly like you do hard or SHD 40-type PVC. It's the same size and uses all the same fittings. But you have to use a different solvent weld with it -- I think it's because of the "flex", you have to use something that will give and flex with the pipe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not to that point yet, but soon...... I'll be converting all of my old corrugated tubing over to flex-PVC. The picture shows the set-up I currently use which works fine, but it's not compatible with flex-PVC, so I'll have to make my own version using PVC ball valves and fittings. I have a submersible pump that will be split with a "Y" fitting, between 2 areas, and each area will require a valve to regulate the flow.
View attachment 76187

My experience with ball valves is that they do the job, but can be 1) hard to turn, and as a result 2) sometimes precise control is hard to get. Granted, my only experiences have been with the ones purchased from Home Depot or Lowes, as well as the Oase one pictured (which has been the best & easiest so far).

Do y'all know of any brands or types of PVC ball valves that might be easier to work with than others? Oh, and it's for 1.5" tubing.

What about attaching jubilee grips to hold the flexi pipe in place Maggie , that way you can use your old valve system

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like the blue colored handle ball valves. I have the red too but they are harder to open and close. They are from Lowes

IMG_3086.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@RobAmy What I use now [for my Skippy] is a red one -- hard to turn without moving everything it's connected to, LOL! I'll have to try the blue.

@Dave 54 One of the main reasons I'm changing over to the flex-PVC is so I won't have to worry about clips, but not a bad idea to use on the current stuff until I convert -- at the rate I'm getting all of this done, it's going to be spring before I get to that point, so WILL need a way to use the old stuff. From what I've read [which may or may not be accurate], the Oase fitting won't work with the flex-PVC, even with clips..... [what's a Jubilee clamp?]

@addy1 I'll look into those. Do you buy them locally or mail order?

@Big Lou I'll check them out, as well -- as with the blue ones [mentioned above] it's going to depend on how easily they turn.

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Dealing with stuck PVC valves.

Saturate spray PAM, WD40 or other non corrosive lubricate on the ball valve. After a few minutes attempt to open. If still stuck place doubled wash cloth or single layer hand towel on the ball joint handle. Use a pipe wrench opened so each side of the pipe wrench applies equal pressure to the entire handle. Genlely turn the wrench. The lubricated valve should open. If handle breaks try to replace with a brass handle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@RobAmy What I use now [for my Skippy] is a red one -- hard to turn without moving everything it's connected to, LOL! I'll have to try the blue.

@Dave 54 One of the main reasons I'm changing over to the flex-PVC is so I won't have to worry about clips, but not a bad idea to use on the current stuff until I convert -- at the rate I'm getting all of this done, it's going to be spring before I get to that point, so WILL need a way to use the old stuff. From what I've read [which may or may not be accurate], the Oase fitting won't work with the flex-PVC, even with clips..... [what's a Jubilee clamp?]

@addy1 I'll look into those. Do you buy them locally or mail order?

@Big Lou I'll check them out, as well -- as with the blue ones [mentioned above] it's going to depend on how easily they turn.
Maggie a jubilee clip is a metal band that you put over the flexi pipe and the valve that you want to connect it too.
The two ends then tighten with a screw which slots into little teeth stamped into the metal making up the clip , once tightened they dont come undone until you unsrew them and will hold the flexi pipe onto the three way valve system you have .:-

http://www.screwfix.com/p/hose-clips-pack-of-10/46961

My filters are held onto the 4" pipe work by two of these clips either end of a rubber joiner , they have not moved since they were first used nor untightened , we hve one connecting the outflow pipe to the side of the pond hich is a ribbed flexi hose, weve never had one leak from any areas that are held together by them......:happy:
I hope this helps

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Dave 54 OK, I know what that is, but "Jubilee" must be a UK name for them. I just call them "strap clamps." Don't know their actual name.
Even if you do use adhesive glue to secure the flexi hose to the ball joints its still advisable for you to add the Jubilee clip , we had a koi keeper called pond guy loose all his water because the flexihose came loose all he had done was use adhesive glue and over time the two parted company .
It at least gives you that peace of mind knowing all eventualities are covered so to speak :happy:

Dave

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Even if you do use adhesive glue to secure the flexi hose to the ball joints its still advisable for you to add the Jubilee clip , we had a koi keeper called pond guy loose all his water because the flexihose came loose all he had done was use adhesive glue and over time the two parted company .
It at least gives you that peace of mind knowing all eventualities are covered so to speak :happy:

Dave
Well, problem with that is, flex-PVC is like regular PVC tubing and it slips INSIDE the fitting and not on the outside. There wouldn't be anywhere to attach the clips..... Because, aren't clips used for tubing that sllips over or outside of a fitting? And you do still have to use a solvent cement product, as with hard PVC, but you have to use a special kind with flex tubing. Was told that it's because of the "flex," that the cement has to have some give to it to be able to flex with the tubing. My guess would be that folks who have had problems probably didn't use the correct solvent cement (or used a glue).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dont know Maggie I'm only reporting why and how these accidents can happen but e koi keepers are pretty switvhed on folk with our ponds and fixtures we have to be :happy:

Dave

Ask a Question