Barley extract

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Has anyone used barley extract to help prevent algae build up? I thought it might be a more natural way to help clarify my koi pond but have found mixed reviews...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I use it occasionally as I don't like the look of a bale of barley straw floating in the pond, but it's reputed to be an effective (natural) algae treatment. Can't definitively say it helped, but for sure can say it has never hurt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I've used barley extract and barley bails before, but I don't think they really did much. I think the best way to get rid of algae is to add lots of plants. Floating plants are great, but other plants should be planted directly in the pond without any pots. If you can, grow them in between rocks as long as the roots can get to the pond water. If you can't do that, the next best thing would be plant them in mesh bags. You can buy them or make them.

The theory on the plants is they compete against the algae. Basically starving out the algae. The algae grows due to excess nutrients in the water.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I've used it in a very small, (30-gallon) porch pond. It was a new water feature that got blasted by the summer sun. It worked in that application so I have no complaint. Plants later grew and I didn't need it. Interestingly, I tried it later in another small pond that was established (that developed algae when on vacation) and I couldn't tell the difference. I agree with poconojoe, live plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Well thank you all for your advice...I have ordered more lilies and some water hyacynth which will be coming this week. I made a ring with a mesh bottom for the hyacynth since I have about 30 koi and 20 of something that look like goldfish varieties. I don't have an algae problem at the moment (hot weather and full sun are coming) I just wanted to do everything I could to prevent one. I'm sure the plants will help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well thank you all for your advice...I have ordered more lilies and some water hyacynth which will be coming this week. I made a ring with a mesh bottom for the hyacynth since I have about 30 koi and 20 of something that look like goldfish varieties. I don't have an algae problem at the moment (hot weather and full sun are coming) I just wanted to do everything I could to prevent one. I'm sure the plants will help.
Excellent!

JBViper4

Fishkeeper
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I don't know how people feel about it, but I used blue dye last summer with a barley bag and had crystal clear water (if a little bit unnaturally blue). No ill effects on the fish that I could tell. The dye also shaded the fish in the deepest part of the pond. I'm skipping it this year because I like the natural look.

Ask a Question