Barley pellets. Useful? And how applied?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

I purchased some barley pellets. Just curious if others have used them and what were there results? If used, how did you apply them? In a filter bag? Just throw them in the pond loosely? Or maybe in a filter system. My thoughts were that would be used in place of barley straw small bales in the filter, or else mixed in the gravel in the bog filter.

Thanks much for reviewing and thoughts/insights.

Tim

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Back in 2006 I tried the barley pellets placed in old hose, placed around the perimeter of the pond and also where there was water flowing. It did nothing for my pond.
I was using it to control the suspended algae but then I read that barley was good for controlling string algae?

If you are trying the barley pellets to help with algae, the one sure thing I have found that helps with algae is adding a lot of plants to the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have never read anyone here having success with barley bales or pellets. Some have reported using barley extract - skip the rotting material in the pond - with some success.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wish people would realize algae is a result of a few factors too many fish, too much food, too little filtering, too little maintenance, not enough water or surface area. before they reach for the so called fixes like chemicals and such

Ask a Question