Basin sizes for stream/waterfall feature

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
So, would it be correct to say that in a simple pond/creek/waterfall, that if you had 900 gallons on your top basin and 300 on your bottom basin, you would have 600 gallons that would have to be accounted for in middle basins?

For myself it was easier to abandon this idea and try it somewhere else that I have space that I can have a much larger bottom basin. Make it more simple.

Sorry, nope!

The only water that needs be considered is the water that will drain from the upper pond(s) into the lowest. This is determined by the flow rate of the pump and the weir width(s) of the upper pond(s).
For example, let's assume one upper pond with a surface area of 60 square feet with a water depth of 1/2 inch at the weir. This gives 60' x 1/2" x 7.5 gallons = 18.75 gallons transit water. The lower pond has a surface area of 30 square feet filled to overflow. When the power is shut off this 18.75 gallons of water will flow to the lower pond and overflow. When power is resumed the 18,75 gallons of water will be pumped and remain in transit lowering the water level of the lower pond about 1.0 inch. The greater the surface area(s) of the upper pond(s) in relation to the surface area of the lower pond, the greater the drop in lower pond water level when power to the pump is resumed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry, nope!

The only water that needs be considered is the water that will drain from the upper pond(s) into the lowest. This is determined by the flow rate of the pump and the weir width(s) of the upper pond(s).
For example, let's assume one upper pond with a surface area of 60 square feet with a water depth of 1/2 inch at the weir. This gives 60' x 1/2" x 7.5 gallons = 18.75 gallons transit water. The lower pond has a surface area of 30 square feet filled to overflow. When the power is shut off this 18.75 gallons of water will flow to the lower pond and overflow. When power is resumed the 18,75 gallons of water will be pumped and remain in transit lowering the water level of the lower pond about 1.0 inch. The greater the surface area(s) of the upper pond(s) in relation to the surface area of the lower pond, the greater the drop in lower pond water level when power to the pump is resumed

I think I might leave this one to a professional. I've done four regular biological ponds myself with success but this one could be tricky. Having to take the liner up again if it's not done right. Back breaking. My idea was 26 feet from top basin to bottom.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Yes, but the volume of 'transit' water and only the transit water will determine if the lower pond will overflow and how much when the pump is turned off.

Agreed! I think that was the point I was trying to make all along - you only need to concern yourself with the water that CAN'T be contained by your pools.

And as for the math - I would just eyeball it and hope for the best. Haha! Not a math whiz. Not even a math beginner!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Just curious. What is the
Purpose of the top and middle basin? Are the shallow pools or ponds? Or just a means to add water volume to stream

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I won’t answer for @Joe113 but in our case it’s the look we wanted to create. The pools allow for plantings and are just pretty to look at.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
True the add to the look ,I have a small pond that empties into the bigger pond and find it a great place for plants and they really help with cleaning the water .Plus small ponds or basins are great for critters to come get a drink and really add to the appeal of the pond .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Exactly. We see so many birds, frogs, chipmunks, squirrels - all kinds of critters use the shallow pools for bathing and getting a drink.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One simple solution might be to add a water replacement float valve to the lower area. if water does empty out in a power outage then when the power returns the pump will be restricted until the water level returns. This would keep you from having to rip every thing apart. THE CONCERN THERE IS HOW MUCH WATER WOULD BE LOST AND WHERE DID IT GO

Ask a Question