Treat water in Pondless basin

Reaction score
Hi! New to the forum. I am moving a cement triple fountain and adding a basin to the bottom and putting rocks on top of the basin to make a pondless basin. forgive my terminology as I am new to all of this.I have had the fountain for years and need to move becAuse a new post for a new patio will meed to go in it's spot. The new deaign will serve two purposes:

1. Splash prevention (the ground around the foutain was constantly wet)
2. We are building a nearby outdoor kitchen and there is no place to drain a sink. I want to plumb the sink to the basin and uae the semi-greywater to feed the fountain. I use chlorine in my fountain already but I am looking for some sort of water treatment system or addotive to kill what should be killed as I heard that chlorine doesn't kill viruses. No fish will be in this system. Any advise will be helpful.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would not recommend using 'grey water' in any water feature.
Chlorine is the only available effective and safe disinfectant that you can use. You surely want the fountain to be safe for wildlife, mainly birds that will frequent it.

Reaction score
I would not recommend using 'grey water' in any water feature.
Chlorine is the only available effective and safe disinfectant that you can use. You surely want the fountain to be safe for wildlife, mainly birds that will frequent it.
That is why I am looking for a way to treat the water. I would actually like to get rid of the chlorine.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Anything that you may use stronger than Chlorine is dangerous to animal life and humans.
The use of 'grey water' in a fountain is very likely to result in major incidences of foaming due to the surfactants and organics that will be present in this water. Not what one would want in a fountain.

Reaction score
I did get foaming at the base of the fountain with chlorine but not in the waterfall. As far as wildlife they get washed with dawn liquid and what they eat and drink from landfills is far more harmful than what will go in my sink. Our local department of environmental quality recomends greywater for landscaping. I would rather do this than add to the runnoff. What about a UV light. Would that kill viruses? Also I think my labeling is incorrect. I want to have a basin of water with rocks on top and not a pondless water feature.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A UV sterilizer rated high enough to kill viruses will cost several hundred to $!,000+.
Why are you so concerned about viruses in a decorative water feature?
And, yes, grey water is recommended for 'Landscaping' not 'Hardscaping' which a water feature is.

Ask a Question