Bats anyone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I bought a nice two chamber bat house last year and just put it up yesterday. I'm hoping to attract those critters because they eat a tremendous amount of bugs. I'm especially hoping they prey on the mosquito population.
There are a lot of cheap useless bat houses out there. I bought mine from the bat conservatory.

There are also a lot of parameters that are neccessary to attract bats. Having the pond is a plus, since the bat house needs to be at least 1500 feet from a source of water. I painted it black to absorb the heat from the sun and have it in a spot with a good 8 hours of exposure.
Now if I can get the bats to come...
Anyone here had success with this?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
No bat house but they seem to love our wood shed. We are very careful when getting wood so as not to disturb them. Nice that you are providing a home for them. I should get some houses for them and put them under the eve of the wood shed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's good that you did the research to know what type of bat house to put up, as well as how and where. It may take them a season or two, but they'll find it eventually.

I put up a small two chambered that I bought on-line, but like you, I did my homework to know that it was designed well. It had a few bats the first season, as well as a stray that wintered in it. I then built a larger two chambered, with species specific plans, but have yet to see any using either house so far this season.

Last Fall I had to chase them off because they wanted to stay under our porch eave, and I had hoped they would take up in the houses, but they left. The porch is in a shady area, which surprised me that they like it so much, so maybe I'll have to relocate the houses.

But, sounds like you have a great set-up, so they will probably show up eventually.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bat house up, they don't like it. We do have bats I see them in the evening flying around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have a bat house up, they don't like it. We do have bats I see them in the evening flying around.
Well, at least they are around which means they are eating the bugs. If they're not using the bat house, I guess they found another place to roost. They can hide in a lot of places. Sometimes in the back of loose tree bark or someone's shed or attic.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
At our last home, I did the same... put up a bat house according to all the suggested parameters for location, heat, etc. I even used bat pheromone spray to attract them. It took over 2 years (which I read is common) but FINALLY saw guano under it one day. Then... we moved. Sigh. But our new place is very rural, and we definitely have bats around. Just last week, in fact, there was one in my living room! :joyful: I'll put up a couple more bat houses this summer. I just adore those lil guys.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have close to 80 plus bird houses, between them and the toads, frogs, dragon flies ,bugs don't have a chance here.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I have close to 80 plus bird houses, between them and the toads, frogs, dragon flies ,bugs don't have a chance here.
Ha! 80 plus! That's great!
I need to research bird houses now. Thanks for the idea!
We have bird feeders and suet cages but they don't only attract the birds. Those pesky squirrels use them along with raccoons and the occasional black bear. We know when the bears come because they wreck everything.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
80! You never do anything small, that's for sure!
I made a bunch, then bought a bunch at the farmers market, also have some condo type bird houses. They have sort of exploded. And I feed the birds year round and squirrels. My yard feeds the ground hogs, deer, rabbits, mice, voles, snakes..................

We have 3-4 nesting pairs of eastern bluebirds now. Started with one pair.

And the birds love to nest in the emerald green arboretum trees. At least where the deer did not inhale them.

Ask a Question