Beneficial Bacteria

Reaction score
Ok my pond is pretty new still and I read some things and they say to use beneficial bacteria. There are so many different brands and Im wondering if one brand is better than another. Also who all have or uses barley extract and how effective is that?

Thanks in advance.
-Jack

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess with bacteria they are all the same ,but I have never used them and barley breaks down to peroxide and I just use peroxide .I spray it on rocks and where ever i see any build up of algae .I did try it 2 times and what a mess the fish made of and the other was the barley and lavender floating squares that was better but expensive .

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Extract supposedly works faster, barley breaks down slower and last longer. Or so that is what most claim. I have used it and honestly. I can't tell the difference when I do and when I don't.

On the beneficial bacteria, On a new set up I see where it would do no harm, The natural process has to begin and starting with a growth that is harvested for breaking down in ponds can't hurt. Are they miracle safety steps that are needed. No, some just choose to add, some rely on mother nature. I have used a few different types. Does one out stand above another. Not that I could tell.

Reaction score
I guess with bacteria they are all the same ,but I have never used them and barley breaks down to peroxide and I just use peroxide .I spray it on rocks and where ever i see any build up of algae .I did try it 2 times and what a mess the fish made of and the other was the barley and lavender floating squares that was better but expensive .

Is peroxide harmfull to the fish. I have a lot of algae building up on my water fall. Would it be ok to spray?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sissy does it, I have done it on my other pond. Turn off the water, spray the water fall rock let it dry, then flip the water back on. Sissy can tell you better how long she lets it sit. I let it sit until the algae started changing colors i.e. dieing.

It won't hurt your fish.

Reaction score
Sissy does it, I have done it on my other pond. Turn off the water, spray the water fall rock let it dry, then flip the water back on. Sissy can tell you better how long she lets it sit. I let it sit until the algae started changing colors i.e. dieing.

It won't hurt your fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I usually do the same 10 minutes at most is all it takes .When you turn back on your pump you will see it turn white and float away

Ask a Question