Berm around pond....Quick HELP please!

joesandy1822

Sandy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
dieselplower said:
Just out of curiousity... You said your pond is leveled at ground level... Did you know that it is not a very good? You do want the edges of the pond to be above the surrounding area so that you don't get too much runoff into the pond.
What's done is done at this point. Our soil is almost pure sand. We never have runoff of any kind. Our lawn browns in the summer without rain at least twice a week because it holds NO moisture. We just drained our 13,500 gallon above-ground pool into our yard, and it absorbed immediately into the ground. I doubt there will ever be rains that would equate to that volume of water that quickly. I guess all the videos I watched were the wrong ones, because this was not something that was mentioned. They all just said to start digging your first shelf 8" below ground level (for the top layer of rocks), and go from there.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I guess things can always be tweaked if necessary later, but right now I am not going to worry about it.

We finished digging the pond, and now my concern is getting the outside berm to compact enough to not try and cave in. I am going out now to moisten it down and tamp some more. Tomorrow the liner will be here, and once I get that in, I will breathe a sigh of relief. Now to find more rocks....

Thanks again,

Sandy

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If your dirt is like sand then just spread it out over your yard where you plan on putting in your flower beds. I used all my dirt that I dug out and spread it out on my hill where my waterfall is maybe an area 15x35 feet. It was clay and over the weeks it broke down enough that you couldn't even tell that I added it to the hill. You can take a look at my showcase which has before and after pics. Good luck

Reaction score
Just a suggestion if u do end up using the dirt for flower beds. I used newspaper that I laid down 4-5 or more pages thick, and then shoveled the dirt on top of that.. Cuts waaaay down on the subsequent break through grass, and if you mulch real good on top of that, you'll barely get any grow up.. Good luck to you. :) And WELCOME :wave:

Ask a Question