An idea for edging a berm....maybe??

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@sissy I hope you don't mind that I borrowed and doctored one of your build pics....

I've been trying to come up with a way to finish off the edging of my pond, and you have given me an idea -- what do you think? Would/could this work?

I have a nice, flat, solid (I hope) dirt berm. My plans were to use flagstone [or whatever those flat, paving-style things are called....] on the top of the berm to keep it a flat surface. But then, what would I do with the edge on the other side? I thought of using more rocks on the other side, as in this pic, but our supply of rocks here is limited, unless you want to spend lots of $$ at the landscape places. Something similar to this pic [which is NOT my pond, BTW]...
image.jpg

[credit for this pic goes to Google....]

So, when I saw how you did yours, I thought about doing something similar with the landscape blocks, raising them to the level of the berm all around, then filling the gap with some kind of fill -- this would basically give me an extension of my berm, to make it wider.

Then I could place the flagstone over the berm, continue over the filled area, and over to the landscape blocks. I tried to show that where I messed with your drawing.
image.jpg

[credit for this pic goes to our own Sissy -- I simply copied it and drew on it to give an idea of my plan]

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's what I did sort of TM, I did the paver where it was flat, used Sissy's idea of rocks on the inside of the pavers to hide the liner, then used the landscape edging and filled with larger rocks on the outside but I've seen people use mulch. I went with the rocks since the mulch here tends to fade mid summer.

Attachments

• photo 22.JPG
    photo 22.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 424

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I filled my gaps with marble chips so it brightened the area around the pond for the night time viewing .I like your idea tbendl and considered those for my top edge instead of the boards but they were not in my budget for now and since I had the boards from my old pond all i had to do was add pieces and glad my idea was useful to others .I really like the flagstone idea turtle mommy as it will give a solid place to stand by the pond or a nice place for a bench to sit and feed the fish .You have nice shade in your yard so you have a cool place to relax ,eventually :)you need some of the cold hardy bananas now to make it tropical

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I drive past Lowe's everyday on my way home from work so I have been buying a few a week and squirreling them away... Wish I'd done that with pea gravel and concrete blocks as well as that's on my shopping list for today, again. My tiny mini cooper is screaming at me every time I pull into the Lowe's parking lot. I'm like the Italian Job movie, only with rocks... LOL
I would have used stuff around the house if I had stuff around the house, I like reusing/recycling items.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
lowes announced a shortage of pavers do to your little shopping trips :)Other women love there clothes and shoes pond women love there rocks .I love looking in the dump when I take my garbage there is always a treasure to be found :)

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
<pouting> can't I have rocks AND shoes?? :confused: I used to go dumpster diving but after moving 39 times, I absolutely refuse to collect more stuff. I keep a few pockets of goodies that I can build with, 1 indoor stuff and 1 outdoor stuff and that's it, that's all I'm allowed. Heehee

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have that problem .Go in the shoe store and very seldom do you see size 5 shoe's in women's any more .I have to buy some of the children's shoe's

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I said little, not teeny tiny. LOL Oh my gosh, that would be hard. I'm a 6 1/2 and have some trouble but I would think size 5 is almost impossible. My daughter wears a 9 1/2 to a 10, and that's equally tough to find shoes for her.

Ask a Question