Berm to stop water running into pond !

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My pond is on a slope ( only place to put pond) I'm getting water run off under liner in the pond. I'm going to do a berm were the water runs down. How far over the berm at the back away from the pond does the liner go to? All the way to flat on the ground or part way up the back of the berm? I'm sure someone can advise please me . Looking forward to any ideas. Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
NOT FOLLOWIng your question try one more time .

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think any of those possibilities could work depending on how you landscape and tie it into the pond. Are you going to do planting on the berm? What will keep the berm itself from eroding from a heavy rain? The berm would not need to be very high to direct water around the pond. I understand your question. But I do not have a solid answer. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think any of those possibilities could work depending on how you landscape and tie it into the pond. Are you going to do planting on the berm? What will keep the berm itself from eroding from a heavy rain? The berm would not need to be very high to direct water around the pond. I understand your question. But I do not have a solid answer. Hopefully others with more experience will chime in.
Hi, I wasn't intending to plant on it, maybe a 10 - 1 foot high compact it as much as possible (my soil is mostly clayish). Cover it with pond liner and maybe around the back edge put gravel or slightly bigger stones around the bottom. Not sure how far to take the liner down the back of the berm though.... to the floor or half way up the back berm then cover with stones. I'm just trying to think of a solution. I'm a bit stuck, I don't know much about ponds, I'm a learner but this problem is a pain. I don't want to get rid of my pond but I'm at a loss. Now I'm wondering with what you've mentioned will the soil wash away!!! Anyone advise me please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wasn't intending to plant on it, maybe a 10 - 1 foot high compact it as much as possible (my soil is mostly clayish). Cover it with pond liner and maybe around the back edge put gravel or slightly bigger stones around the bottom. Not sure how far to take the liner down the back of the berm though.... to the floor or half way up the back berm then cover with stones. I'm just trying to think of a solution. I'm a bit stuck, I don't know much about ponds, I'm a learner but this problem is a pain. I don't want to get rid of my pond but I'm at a loss. Now I'm wondering with what you've mentioned will the soil wash away!!! Anyone advise me please
Thank you for your help and any others who advise me in advance .

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Can you post a photo or two? From the sound of it, you might want to either dig a trench around the pond and fill it with gravel or put in a proper french drain. But a photo would certainly help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not good with photos so here goes.
Yes I have blanket weed as photo shows but I want to enlarge pond and get rid of all the stones and get rid of the spores in the pond. I've had to put stones bottom/sides of pond to stop bulging with water. Hope this shows I'm on slightly slopping ground but I get lots run off water from other gardens which are higher than mine.

Attachments

• IMG_20220713_103351.jpg
    IMG_20220713_103351.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20220713_103339.jpg
    IMG_20220713_103339.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 20

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My upslope side of the pond I had to stop water flow. Our slope is about 25 degrees, a lot of rain runs down.

I did a slight trench, 2ish inches deep put in gravel landscape fabric over it. But what I think really worked was the small berm I made, only three inches tall, water hits it and flows around the pond. I also broke up the down hill water flow with plants rocks etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our pond is also on a hillside. We dug a trench about 10 inches deep all around the planted area around the pond, diverting the water away from the pond. It is now covered with grass and is not noticeable. It works very well. Just have to be careful when walking around that area not to fall into it!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am just a do it myself, redo it if it isn't working person :) But after reading your and the other comments........I would pull back the liner and decorative rocks and make a raised berm and fully cover it with liner, then back with the rocks you already have. Then in the area I pulled the dirt to make the berm, make a french drain of a small ditch of rocks to direct the water where you want it. If there is enough liner, I would have it go down into the pond side of the French drain.

My hesitation with liner is that it does not let air through so plants would have a hard time growing. If you want plants in the dirt, landscape fabric might be a better material for part of this since it would allow you to plant in the area.

If you are not wanting plants, the pond liner would help prevent weeds and direct the water more thoroughly.

Depending on the amount of water you are trying to divert, some French drains have an actual PVC pipe with holes to catch and direct the water farther away.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ok,, a lot of info from everyone thank you all. Yes some interesting ideas there for me to think about. Thank you all for taking time to help me .

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick point could I use weed fabric ( I have loads) to cover over the gravel in the trench?

Ask a Question