Best filter for Tetra Pond DHP 3600?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Some updated pics. Should I keep that gradual slope in the corner or should I pile up the rocks some more and make a barrier at the bottom. An idea I have is to use bigger and heavier rocks towards the opening so it can stop any of the small gravel from escaping.

Also, how far would you go with planting the plants? Lets assume I left the bog as is. Would you go right to the waterline, lower, higher?

20200410_131456.jpg

20200410_131501.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nice! Great job! Now you're cookin'!
You can probably leave that slope there. I doubt the gravel will move, but keep an eye on it. If you want, you can stick some rocks there, but try not to block the water flow.

How many and which type of plants will depend on the size of the stock tank, use your judgment. Maybe put taller ones up against that brick wall. I would add as many as I could. Of course leave some room for them to grow or spread out. The plants will thrive while removing excess nutrients which in turn will starve out any algae. The result...clear water!

If you want, you can grow plants in the ground, stack rocks, small boulders or driftwood in front of the stock tank to hide the black plastic for a more natural look.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Since your bog is new and not quite established yet, leave some of the soil on the plant roots when you add them to the gravel. The soil won't hurt anything.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Keep the plants away from the opening, they are great at blocking water flow. Once summer is in full swing I need to pull plants to keep a place for the water to flow.

When my bog was brand new I put in plants and did rinse off the roots, they did fine. A bit of soil won't hurt, make sure there is not a lot of perlite, that stuff floats and goes everywhere.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Finished planting the plants today. Rinsed off a good bit of mud but I did leave some on like stated above. Hopefully this works out then I am going to plants some stuff around the bog so you cant see the sides of the tub.

20200411_160507.jpg

20200411_160446.jpg

20200411_160453.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Awesome! I'm jealous! You did great with the plants!
I started digging my bog. It's hard work. I'm not that young anymore and I'm feeling it!
It's going to be about 14 feet x 5 feet. I had to dismantle my waterfall and move a whole bunch of rocks. I'm hurtin' a bit!
20200411_161458.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
A little update. Most of the plants are out of control and growing like weeds. They look great. The only plant that hasn't been doing that well are Iris. Dunno if its the heat or placement but they didn't do well at all.
20200713_195438.jpg
20200713_195434.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Looks great! How is your water clarity? Has the bog improved things?

My water is crystal clear. My bog is approximately 14 feet by 6 feet. Here's what it looks like as of July 10, 2020:
20200710_120927.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water quality is great. Clear as can be. The bog does seem to catch a lot of debris though like my previous filter media would get and I would hose off. Whats the best way to address this. It does seem to gather at the top of the bog somewhat

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
The debris really shouldn't be reaching the top of the gravel. You may, at times, see some algae on top, but that will dissipate after a short while.

I think as long as your water is clear, there's really nothing to do or worry about.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The debris really shouldn't be reaching the top of the gravel. You may, at times, see some algae on top, but that will dissipate after a short while.

I think as long as your water is clear, there's really nothing to do or worry about.
Yea its algae on the top. Its not debris like sticks or something

The water is very clear

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water quality is great. Clear as can be. The bog does seem to catch a lot of debris though like my previous filter media would get and I would hose off. Whats the best way to address this. It does seem to gather at the top of the bog somewhat
Mine gets dirt mud looking stuff on the top of the gravel, I used to worry about it then decided why? If I go in a pull plants I can trash the ponds clear water in minutes, but by the next day or even later in the day it is back to clear..

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine gets dirt mud looking stuff on the top of the gravel, I used to worry about it then decided why? If I go in a pull plants I can trash the ponds clear water in minutes, but by the next day or even later in the day it is back to clear..
Same here. If I move around the gravel, I basically send a mud cloud to the pond.

Ok I'm glad this 'problem' I thought I had isnt a problem and a common thing

Ask a Question