best for fish under ice

rdk

Reaction score
Is it best to have a combination of aeration and pumped water circulation to keep our fish safe under ice this winter. Is water circulation without aeration enough. I know to make sure there is a hole in the ice at all times. Thank you

Reaction score
Hi rdk. You just need air to keep a hole open in the ice. Just hang a air stone in the top 1/4-1/3 of your water level nad let the bottom 2/3 remain calm. The fish will hang out in the lower regions, and your air flow up top will keep it from freezing.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
From all that I have read here at this forum about de-icing, aeriation, and circulation during the winter months, it seems a variety of winterizing solutions have been tried. Much has to do with the climatic zone your in, and what method you use to assure your fish will
aclimate for the winter.

I think I'm in zone 7, compared to forty years ago we don't get as many freezing nights as we used to here in the Northwest. I opt'd to keep the basic pre-filter running utilizing a 300 watt heater to keep ice from forming. It worked well in my 365 gallon pond. Even on those nights when we had some temps down into the teens, my pond still had no sign of ice with the water temps staying well above freezing.

Reaction score
i just use air bubbling in a corner on the top 1/4 of the pond. Water circulation for most of us will disturb that stratification of water that happens--and that warmer layer at the bottom where the fish will hang out. You're in CT, so i would go with just air in your case. With your cold winters, you might do damage to a pump if you tried to keep it running.

Don't be afraid to just turn everything off.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the lower the zone the lower the stone.. i dont what zone your in and i bring my fish inside(basement pond) but my freinds leave their fish outside and locate their airstones 1/3 to1/2 way the depth in the deepest part of the pond.you just need to keep a hole in the ice for gas exchange..

rdk

Reaction score
I just bought an air pump and I was planning to run the air pump and water pump together ,the water pump on the bottom, with a pvc pipe blowing water near the surface. From what you are saying just run the air pump. Do I remove the water pump from the pond or just unplug it? If I remove the water pump how do I store it so it would not break? I remember reading something about this on the forum but I do not remember where it was. Thank You

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
if you run the water pump you will be disturbing the water table fluccuating the temps in the pond... your fish are already weakened and their immune system is minimal.. they dont need the extra stress.. if the pump wont freeze solid you can leave it in the pond if you like.but i would remove. i have extra pumps.. i store them in buckets filled with water and lidded. so the seals wont rot.

Reaction score
right. in connecticut just run the air pump and let the air line bubble right at the top so a hole will always remain open. Do check your pond every day and if you see any ice forming, just crack it. But even if ice does form over the top, and you have that little hole open from the air line, it's enough to let the gas exchange happen.

Most manufacturers will tell you in the instruction manuals not to let your pump stay in the pond during winter as it can do damage to it. I confess I've left mine in there all winter without damage, but I'm clearly playing roulette and assuming all will be fine. I've also taken it out.

Not sure what kind of pump you have, but if it has any rubber gasket parts, some folks think that these can dry out when they are out of the pond for an extended period of time. In this case, you can do one of two things: Just take your pump outta the pond and keep it in a bucket of water in your basement for the winter (you might want to change out the water ever few weeks to prevent a stagnant water stink), or you buy o-ring lube (fish safe) and slather it on your rubber parts.

Reaction score
it all depends on where the rubber gasket is, or if your pump even has any rubber parts. The owner's manual will tell you if there are any rubber parts in your pump or not.

I had one pump that had only a little propeller thingee but not rubber, for example. You can buy this pond safe lube on the internet.

Reaction score
We live in zone 7, on Long Island. We keep an airstone going all winter, as a matter of
fact we keep it going all year long.
For the last several years --in the deep end of the pond, we keep a pump running ( $12.00 harbor freight pump) all winter.

Joann

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
CliffandJoann said:
We live in zone 7, on Long Island. We keep an airstone going all winter, as a matter of
fact we keep it going all year long.
For the last several years --in the deep end of the pond, we keep a pump running ( $12.00 harbor freight pump) all winter.

Joann

I love their small pumps, I have about 8 of them 145 and 195 GPH size. I use them for a lot of tasks.

Reaction score
Dr Dave, we bought two of their 250 gph pumps for 12.00 each, a few years ago...
This size 250 gph is the one we have been using all winter for the last few years..

We use them for little waterfalls as well, from Spring to Fall.
The fish love all the little falls all over the place.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
They are great little pumps, I don't know what I would do without them. When you have 5 tanks plus the 3 ponds, there are many opportunities to move water around. I buy the tubing from Home Depot that I use with the pumps.

Ask a Question