United Kingdom

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Here are a few images of my Betta named Alpha and his aquarium (5.5 gallon HOB filtration)

The above quote is Marshall's original post sans the photos. He makes no mention of any comparison to anyone else's fish (especially bettasngoldfish) nor does he make any reference to the visual attributes of his fish. Just a hobbyist posting a photo of a fish that he owns, the same as countless others on this and myriad other forums that post photos of there fish, turtles, ponds, dogs, cats etc. just displaying their hobby, not making any claim as to level of knowledge or expertise. Certainly not asking for nor expecting harsh criticism.
To this you immediately replied-
Sorry marshall but this is not a patch on @bettasngoldfish I am affraid you have to learn alot to attain her standard of betta
and soon after, this-
Your betta doesnt come near the beauty of @bettasngoldfish betta's you have lots to learn
I may very well be the only one that feels this way, but in my opinion both of these statements were out-of-context to the original post and unnecessary and, as I posted earlier, "comparative, judgmental and condescending".
If any real apology is warranted or forthcoming, it should be directed to Marshall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Why ? theres nothing derogatory about my posts too him I'm simply stating the obvious that he has lots to learn before attaining the standard of betta in Marias photo , I doubt this will offend marshall in any way , if you feel its so, then sorry its not , whats hard about that I'm speaking the queens english .
If you check out his other post about betta you will find that hes now talking with Maria about them .
Whats is your problem with me tonight we normally get on like a house on fire ?

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had Val read this thread word for word she agrees theres nothing wrong in my posts and comparison is part and parcel of the way of my teaching everyone and thats a shed load of people since we started out.pre 1990.
Now everyone who I have ever helped is are told and shown that if they wish to attain our level of koi they have to stive to get there,
I do a comparison because everyone buys garden centre koi first off not realizing the are better koi and goldfish out there its always worked for them so why shouldnt it for marshall
All the people we have ever helped has attained our level of koi .
One of our former members never forgot the love care and attention we have attained ourselves . it spured him on for better things , he now lectures in fish sciences and has his own consultancy if you read the bottom of the page , he rewarded us by nominating us to the koi hall of fame in the Koi magazine
If you came across someone that was keeping feeders wouldnt you say there is no contest between them and other goldfish "yes".
marshall wants to learn betta which he is doing ,everone who first starts out with a new type of fish needs to know by comparison just what a beautiful level they can attain , I've already explained myself to you once, you appologised because you got it wrong but still you persist why my friend I'm at a loss ?

Dave

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I've just had Val read this thread word for word she agrees theres nothing wrong in my posts and comparison is part and parcel of the way of my teaching everyone and thats a shed load of people since we started out.pre 1990.
Now everyone who I have ever helped is are told and shown that if they wish to attain our level of koi they have to stive to get there,
I do a comparison because everyone buys garden centre koi first off not realizing the are better koi and goldfish out there its always worked for them so why shouldnt it for marshall
All the people we have ever helped has attained our level of koi .
One of our former members never forgot the love care and attention we have attained ourselves . it spured him on for better things , he now lectures in fish sciences and has his own consultancy if you read the bottom of the page , he rewarded us by nominating us to the koi hall of fame in the Koi magazine
If you came across someone that was keeping feeders wouldnt you say there is no contest between them and other goldfish "yes".
marshall wants to learn betta which he is doing ,everone who first starts out with a new type of fish needs to know by comparison just what a beautiful level they can attain , I've already explained myself to you once, you appologised because you got it wrong but still you persist why my friend I'm at a loss ?

Dave

Substitute the word 'pond' for 'betta' in that statement and if doesn't sound comparative, judgmental and condescending then I apologize.

The apology was conditional. Point here is that it does sound comparative, judgmental and condescending, so no apology has been really offered. If you truly cannot see the impression that your two quoted statements convey then i really have nothing to add. End of discussion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It may sound comparative to you but it isnt to be honsest I think that things are being lost in your interpretation of the english language and mine we are to put it gently from both sides of the pond.
I asked a question of you re feeders you didnt answer the question would you point out the difference so that a person can achieve a higher standard of fish obviously not .
If marshall was offended by my comparison I shall appologise to him but I dont think he will be, I personally think he will strive for better things.

Dave

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
lol this thread was so ruined.
IMO there was nothing wrong with his post.
IMO I also need to stop viewing threads from years ago and commenting on them, but hey don't blame me, there isn't many threads on "indoor tanks" that aren't from 2013

Last edited:

Ask a Question