Big Blue Heron visits pond

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Sissy, that's good advice about the coon's digging. We are fortunate, all of our fences have full length cement foundations. That way we don't have so much edging to do when we cut the grass.

When we had our last snow last week here in the northwest, I noticed that all of the racoon tracks went down the front side walk, and out in the alley behind our house.

Fortunately, we haven't had any problems with the heron that flies over periodically. We also happen to have just enough power, telephone, and cable lines over our back yard that we believe it would difficult for a heron to land in our yard in those wee hours of the morning that they like to do their fishing.:helm2:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I am still researching on owl danger here to see if barn owls have a taste for fish .My pond is wide open with only the bridge I built over it to protect it and the front porch off to the side .I know we have a couple of silver and red foxes here in the past 6 years but they seem to never go near the pond .I also am having trouble with a garden snake and the tons of frogs we get in the summer .I can here them inside the house croaking and it sounds like huge party going on at the pond .I also in the morning have to pull dead frogs out of the pond as my fish kill them when they get in the water .Sometimes I will take out 8 to 10 frog bodies and parts of frog bodies .I need to find out also if this will cause a problem in the pond .Anyone knows the answer please let me now.The pics here show why I have foxes open and woods behind my house .I have also had 2 bear cubs here 3 years ago and a farm nearby cows that got loose and one goat who shows up here once in awhile and oh yes forgot the pig that was here for a week before I found the owner .

Attachments

• dogs snow  chelsee 017.jpg
    dogs snow chelsee 017.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 328
  • snow cute pics of pee wee 003.jpg
    snow cute pics of pee wee 003.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 321

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The pond you have was my first pond and I still have it out by my shed can't find anyone to give it too here and I have the waterfall with it .I like your filter box as I did the same thing except mine is up by the waterfall to empty back in the pond from the tank I just put holes in it and I use buffer pads from Lowes to filter the water .At only 6 dollars they are cheap ,I cannot keep plants in my pond as fish destroy them and I am going to use the idea someone poster here about the floating plant holder .Oh and what a cute doggie looks like he adores you by the way he is looking at you .They have pond pumps at Harbor Frieght ,com 1265 gph for 22 dollars clearanced out I have bought all of mine there and never had a problem yet with any of them except the ones for my other pond where to small for the new one and my neighbors burned out so gave her one and she has now bought the bigger one I just bought from them . love your moss it looks so pretty . Hey I have free frogs want some LOL

Reaction score
I'd probly just kill those birds and be done with it. Unless you have some kind of net or something to cover up the whole time you're gone, and you don't mind dealing with all that. But me, I'd just kill the birds. Problem solved. If more come some day, kill them too.

Reaction score
Well 2 years ago we had a run in with a blue heron and this was when our pond was about 1 1/2 or 2 feet deep and he land in our pond and i was looking out the window and he got a fish so i ran out there and threw a rock to hit him (it didn't) and this just freaked him out so he went to fly away and his nails got caught in our liner and he ripped a hole in it lol. he still hasn't been back though!

~marino~
th_heronwithworm.gif

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I won't shoot them, just made my pond deep enough to protect the fish from them

Reaction score
I dont see why they on the list of being extent as Alabama is covered up with them they R helping empty private catfish pond & all here Yes the Depth helps a lot but they get just 1 & they will be back just to catch some top water swimmer & have it in a Snap It Cost me But I built a cover over my large pond before it was spotted with plastic lattace 4 x8 sheets Good Luck on the problem:helm2:

Reaction score
ime sure i read somewhere that you can deter herons by placing an artificial heron by the side of your pond, and they will not come as they think there is already one heron there ! dont know how true this is, its just something i read while searching the internet for information on pondkeeping, apparently they deter cats also !

Ask a Question