Big Blue Heron visits pond

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The only real (non lethal) deterant I have found is to keep the ponds netted when you are not there to watch them. It is a pain at first, but after a while you get used to removing the netting and placing it back.

Attachments

• Netting installed LP.jpg
    Netting installed LP.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 236
Reaction score
Is it common for Herons to kill fish through leaf netting? I don't really like the look of the netting and have thought about stringing some fish line around. Anyone have suggestions for the fish line? In the Summer I have Sails above the pond. The heron that visited my pond landed in my yard and walked up to the water.

Any help is appreciated.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The fencing material I use cannot be penetrated by the birds. If you don't like the looks then your options are limited. Do you have neighbors?

Reaction score
coolwind2003a said:
Its time for lead LOL just keep it on the down low LOL

A nice pump pellet gun is more than enough to get the job done if you live in town. Some pellet guns actually send the bullet faster than other real guns! The sound from a pellet gun usually isn't enough to alert anyone, and even if you miss unlike a real bullet a pellet is much more likely to just embed in the fence. But if you are worried about the sound, they even make suppressors for pellet guns that make them pretty much inaudible after about 20 feet away.

mogsie said:
ime sure i read somewhere that you can deter herons by placing an artificial heron by the side of your pond, and they will not come as they think there is already one heron there ! dont know how true this is, its just something i read while searching the internet for information on pondkeeping, apparently they deter cats also !

This is interesting. Definitely worth looking into. Be great if it works

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
In my case...A BB gun can and did make them leave and stay away...a couple BBs in the @$$ they associate your pond with pain....worked for me even after a heron got 3 12" fish in one visit!! shot him in June and they didnt return and i see them daily in the area fishing the creek 200 yards away all season!!!

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I would like to elaborate alittle on the use of my decoy....i have witnessed the wrens or cranes (white birds like a GBH) in the area do fly overs over my yard on their way to the creek, but have yet to see one even look as tho they were going to land here. i could be wrong but i acredit this to the fact that GBHs are the predominate preditory bird here and the cranes would quickly depart when the herons approached. i made the mistake of putting out my decoy in may the first year i had it and the next morning a heron was in my yard. i came to find out it was mating season and the decoy actually may have attracted the bird in hopes of mating. so i now dont put out the decoy til July...

Reaction score
DrDave said:
The fencing material I use cannot be penetrated by the birds. If you don't like the looks then your options are limited. Do you have neighbors?

I live on a corner lot in my neighborhood. The pond is on the street side of my yard. I haven't seen the GBH since the initial visit in Dec. I would prefer to set up a barrier that gives me peace of mind when I am not home. You say fencing material...Can you elaborate? If I ever see the bird again, I have a long pool poll by my door ready to whack it. My pond is really close to the house and if I was prepared the first time I could have easily hit the bird while it was taking off. :lol:

rdk

Reaction score
I made a frame with pvc pipes painted it black with non toxic paint, spread out 2" steel plastic coated black fencing. Then I tied half inch square wire on top of that spayed with non- toxic black paint. The entire frame over the pond. No herons no racoons no animals. Cut a little trap door for feeding and the water pump pipe. RDK

Reaction score
Ironic as it is....I post today that I haven't seen the heron since the first sighting in Dec. Then, when I go out to grill tonight the heron is standing by the pond. I still have ice covering most of the pond surface! My fish are hybernating at the bottom and the net I have is still intact. Maybe my timing was good this time. I may purchase one of those scarecrow water shooters, but with freezing temps I don't know how I would be able to use it in the winter. I hope my net is enough!

Thanks for the netting feedback RDK!

Ask a Question