Big Sister Filter - Need Opinions

Reaction score
I have an approximately 1100 gallon pond with an oase aquamax pump and uv light. I also have a big sister filter

( http://www.lagunakoi.com/prod91.html)

that is currently not in use. I would like any opinions on the Big Sister Filter. We stopped using it years ago when we had a bunch of our pet ducks in the pond, and therefore it was always super dirty and disgusting. There was just no point in trying to keep the pond clean.

Two years ago we cleaned out the pond and put in goldfish and banned the ducks. We got a uv filter to help w/ green water. But meanwhile that large big sister filter is still just sitting there. Would it be worth my while to get some new matting and put the brushes back in and get the whole thing up and running again? Or should I forget about it since we have a uv filter.

Thanks.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I got 3 big sisters but none of them filter water,,,If it all hooked up ,you should go ahead and get it running..Its there

Camper Man

Pond Curator
Reaction score
You should set up the Big Sister. As you said, the UV filter is great for killing the suspended algae and clearing green water. But the UV obviously can't provide mechanical or biological filtration which the Big Sister does very well. You could also use it as a stage for chemical filtration should you ever need that to address odor, clarity or other water issues.

Ask a Question