Bio filter help (water flow ?)

Reaction score
i did look at the link, and it is nice, but not what i am looking for. i guess what i want is a pressure filter. I just do not want to redo my waterfall, or have a tank visible.

What is bad about a pressure filter and why don't you guys like them?

I don't know what yet, but if i find a container that i can seal, that should be all i need to have a pressure tank right? i would think my pump would have enough power to draw the water through it, don't you think?

I know i'm going about it in the wrong order, but i know i don't fully understand a biofilter. i read all about them online (mainly the skippy site), but still don't get it all. If you want to answer that here, feel free, otherwise i will be posting a new thread later today, when i get time. my confusion has to do with how the pond stays clean and free of the green algae, while the filter does all the work... does the pond never get any algae in it while the filter is working properly?

Reaction score
jusluv2ski said:
What is bad about a pressure filter and why don't you guys like them?

From my experience, they tend to clog way too easily. Buy one thats very oversized.

I don't know what yet, but if i find a container that i can seal, that should be all i need to have a pressure tank right?

Youd be surprised how hard it is to build something yourself that remains watertight with even slight pressure. Its not even that easy to seal something with no pressure, besides atmospheric. Dont bother, pressure filters really arent expensive, I wouldnt even consider trying to build one myself. Of course you can buy a filter and toss out the media and replace it with something that wont clog.

I know i'm going about it in the wrong order, but i know i don't fully understand a biofilter. i read all about them online (mainly the skippy site), but still don't get it all. If you want to answer that here, feel free, otherwise i will be posting a new thread later today, when i get time. my confusion has to do with how the pond stays clean and free of the green algae, while the filter does all the work... does the pond never get any algae in it while the filter is working properly?

All (bio) filters work on the same basic principle; skippy's, 55g barrels or ready made (pressure) filters. You provide surface area for bacteria to live on, and you flow water over it. Those bacteria break down toxic ammonia in to nitrates, and thats plant fertilizer. Ideally you have a mechanical stage first, that stops the big debris. Depending on the filter that gets caught in something like japanese matting that needs to be washed out, or it sinks to the bottom of a barrel that you need to drain now and then.

As for algae; a bio filter alone wont prevent it. Youd need plants to absorb the nitrates, otherwise algea will blossom.

Reaction score
thanks for all of the info everyone. i'll have to think this over some more and see what i want to do. i would like to try it, but am afraid that it won't work after all of the labor involved. i'll let you know what i decide and how it worked/didn't work.

Ask a Question