BIO-Filter question (PLEASE HELP!)

Reaction score
My wife and I just installed a 160 gallon two level kidney shaped pond in our front garden. In hopes of having fish we put a few "tester" goldfish in. We have just a little pump squirting a fountain out of a frog currently and we have been hearing that we NEED a bio-filter. We have no idea where to find a suitable one for our pond and for a good price. Alternatively I am very handy and could make my own, I would just like some suggestions or information on how to go about constructing my own. The pond is 3'x5'x20" so I do not want something big and bulky since I think it would intrude upon the fish. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

I am thinking of purchasing a plecostomus to alleviate any algae that is starting to build up until I get a pump purchased or constructed. There are also plants in the water as well.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to the group! they like you to introduce yourself first
'
But in saying that check out the diy section for help on build filters, you could make one smaller to fit your set up.

Reaction score
well with small ponds it is harder to hide a homemade filter. it also depends on how much work you want to do to maintain it. I tired the home made method for my 160 gallon pond but the skippy idea does not work well with a smaller container. I think about 30 gallons is about as small as you can get and have the poop separate well.
if you want to go cheap you can use a basket with foam or filter media and a pump in the middle of it. works ok but you have to remove it to clean it. but it is dirt cheap to make. I finally broke down and bought a laguna powerflo filter. it woks great on my small pond it is easy to clean and can go over a month before it even shows any indication of needing cleaned.
http://www.lagunaponds.com/lagunaeng/filters/pflofilt.php?link=153

bought mine off of ebay for 179.00 and free shipping. bought the 600gph pump after using another one.
here is a pic of it with a mini bog. the bog is about 1/2 full of gravel. I just pulled 1/2 the plants out as they have taken over.
photo1-22.jpg

Reaction score
A pond that small will probably only support goodies or shubs so the waste will not be to high. Steve's bog filter is something that could work if you want to blend it in. Looks to be made out of a plastic window box? Or you could try a small waterfall diy filter since they blend in nicely and add a waterfall if you don't have one.

Reaction score
yep just used a plastic window box with no drain holes. it seems to work great and it sure makes the plants grow like crazy. it was packed with plants that I just pulled out to give away and start the process over again.
I have a few koi and I know they have to go. I got them to tame the gf.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Hi Dairyland. I've got a great diagram and pictures on how to make your own bio-filter. We've been using it for years and it is so easy to make and you never have to clean the bio-media. If you would like, I can send you diagrams and step by step pictures on how to make this filter. I think that I sent the diagrams to Addy and I think that they might be here on the site but I'm not sure.
Anyway, let me know if you are interested.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Reaction score
Koilady said:
Hi Dairyland. I've got a great diagram and pictures on how to make your own bio-filter. We've been using it for years and it is so easy to make and you never have to clean the bio-media. If you would like, I can send you diagrams and step by step pictures on how to make this filter. I think that I sent the diagrams to Addy and I think that they might be here on the site but I'm not sure.

Your's Koily, Lorraine

Hey Lorraine... I hate to but in on this thread, but I would love to get those diagrams, and step by step pictures!!! I need all the help I can get!!! :frown:

Thanks,
David

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Koilady said:

Your's Koily, Lorraine

save this link Lorraine,

It is a thread with your diy bio - filter

https://www.gardenpondforum.com/koilady-diy-downflow-filter-build-t8597.html

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Ah Addy, what would we do without you. Thank you so much for doing this for me.

Hugs, Lorraine

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Ah Addy, what would we do without you. Thank you so much for doing this for me. I'm sure you've heard me say this before but it's such a good filtration system and I wished that we had, had it when we first got into the pond hobby. It would have made things so much easier for me.

Hugs, Lorraine

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Ah Addy, what would we do without you. Thank you so much for doing this for me. I'm sure you've heard me say this before but it's such a good filtration system and I wished that we had, had it when we first got into the pond hobby. It would have made things so much easier for me.

Hugs, Lorraine

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Glad I could help you by posting it for you. A good filter makes a pond a lot easier to take care of.

Koilady

Water Garden Consultant
Reaction score
Ah, David, you are very welcome. Thanks again Addy. David, if you have any questions concerning this filter, please let me know. Many people don't understand the importance of the pipe on the inside of the filter which leads the water back up to the top of the filter and out to the pond.

Hugs, Lorraine

Ask a Question