Bio filter new to pond......

Reaction score
Country
United States
I decided to save my back and take the box filter out of the pond and put in a bio filter outside the pond and larger pump. The first few days everything was great.....I do not have a skimmer, never have, I overflow pond to clean top if needed. And not sure on a 30 year old cement pond how I‘d
37D51EC9-07A7-4BCB-997B-B162598D370C.jpeg
add one.
after one week the pond went from crystal clear, which my fish clearly enjoyed, to clouding up.
mitigation-

yesterday I added two pond blocks, and have to hope my lily will survive that. I used the back wash feature of the bio filter but hate to think after one week of cool weather,I need to take the bio filter totally apart .

does anyone have any thoughts? During this pandemic I can only order Parts on amazon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Melinda, I would have kept the box filter going (in addition to your new filter) for a few weeks before removing the box filter. Is the old filter still moist or is it dried out? If it is still moist, you might be able to gently rinse it out with pond water and reinsert it for a few weeks. If that is not an option, then you are going to have to wait for the new filter to become seeded. I wouldn't mess with the new filter at all...just let it run. Is the new filter the same capacity as the older filter? By the way, that is a magnificent pond!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never had a skimmer either and felt no real need for one ,so that is not a real big deal .What you are doing is working

Ask a Question