Just broke pond pump. Need biofilter anyways. Any cheap setups recomended? Wife mad at my spending;)

Reaction score
This will feed a small waterfall. I had an 800 gph pump and I just broke it like an idiot. I am told that the drip or trickle style biofilter is best. Does this actually sit outside of the pond? Do I need a seperate pump for that and another for the waterfall? I had a beckett biofilter before and it was fixed and submersible. I am told that it is junk. Please advise a decent setup I can get at Home depot or off of amazon.com. Thank you!!!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
deadringer303, it really isn't junk. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even if you were to get an external filter, I'd still keep the Beckett as a pre-filter to prevent gunk from blocking your pump intake. The simplest thing would be to get a replacement pump of the same kind, you can always build your own or buy an external filter later.

Reaction score
deadringer303, it really isn't junk. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Even if you were to get an external filter, I'd still keep the Beckett as a pre-filter to prevent gunk from blocking your pump intake. The simplest thing would be to get a replacement pump of the same kind, you can always build your own or buy an external filter later.
It actually still runs. I jsut put the stock cover back on it and actually broke the attachment that goes on the intake to attach to the beckett. I will get the replacement part and use it again for a pre filter. I do however want to get the large bio filter. I want to build one. Or should I get a UV filter? Or do I need both. I did stock my small waterfall with rocks to hopefully get the bacteria growing on that for now. I dont want the pond to be too stagnant.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
I am looking at something like this model. Sunterra I had this before and it sucked. Beckett

Don't buy it! Okay... I personally have not used that filter before, but I have one sitting in my shed that my grandpa gave to me because he said it was junk. Mine actually has a uv light in it also. Check out the diy section, you can build a much better filter yourself for cheaper.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
It actually still runs. I jsut put the stock cover back on it and actually broke the attachment that goes on the intake to attach to the beckett. I will get the replacement part and use it again for a pre filter. I do however want to get the large bio filter. I want to build one. Or should I get a UV filter? Or do I need both. I did stock my small waterfall with rocks to hopefully get the bacteria growing on that for now. I dont want the pond to be too stagnant.
UV filter: Some people swear by it. I don't use one just because I don't really like the idea of an extra thing to think about and supposedly the UV that kills algae also kills beneficial bacterial.

Building your own bio-filter is one of the funnest things to do, go for it!

Reaction score
Check out the Cheap pond filter media thread.

A waterfall is a kind of trickle tower, just not as much surface area for the same foot print. A trickle tower can be placed inside the pond on blocks so the tower is above water. Could be placed in a stream or it's own deal that drained back into the pond. Could be at the top of a waterfall so you'd need one pump. Possibilities are endless.

Ask a Question